Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

New rifle and problem

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,408
Re: New rifle and problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
Well I'm sure that it is not my reloads. I went and loaded up 2 rounds with diffrent powder lowest load show, first was 75gr h1000 case stuck, second was 66gr of H4831sc that case stuck also. So I assume its the rifle. I think im going to have to head to a smith.
Your smith needs to mic the chamber width-wise to see if the chmber is too fat. If it is, I'd be calling Remington asking for a new dang barrel blank, but that you want YOUR smith to install it and chamber it with his reamer.

Could just have some burrs in there and it needs polishing... Most factory chambers are a crap-shoot, because of how many they produce.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 134
Re: New rifle and problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwapitihunter View Post
Sounds like you don't have enough primary extraction.

Ok thats a possibility, but would it cause a problem only after I fired a round. If i eject a loaded round its smooth as glass. just a fired round is an issue
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 134
Re: New rifle and problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Your smith needs to mic the chamber width-wise to see if the chmber is too fat. If it is, I'd be calling Remington asking for a new dang barrel blank, but that you want YOUR smith to install it and chamber it with his reamer.

Could just have some burrs in there and it needs polishing... Most factory chambers are a crap-shoot, because of how many they produce.

It might just be a rough chamber I have rings all over on the shoulder and some on the case body on the fired brass

Ya I'm going to call them and see if they will send me a blank , or see if they have smith do it, he is a remington dealer so that might be what happens. If i have my choice I will have our smith install it
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,408
Re: New rifle and problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
It might just be a rough chamber I have rings all over on the shoulder and some on the case body on the fired brass

Ya I'm going to call them and see if they will send me a blank , or see if they have smith do it, he is a remington dealer so that might be what happens. If i have my choice I will have our smith install it
They probably won't sell you (him) a blank without it being chambered already. If they won't, you'll be better off having the smith true up the action, and have a custom barrel installed. It will be better than anything Remington will send you. Plus, it's a good excuse to build a custom 7mm STW with a 26"-28" heavy barrel.

If you don't want to spend much, just have the smith polish it out, hand-lap your barrel, true the action, headspace, and shoulder lug, and bed the action. That's a general accurizing package at most shops, and should make a noticeable difference, even with your factory barrel.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 134
Re: New rifle and problem

I just pulled the bolt and looked down the chamber on my custom 300 wm and then pulled the bolt and looked on the 7stw and there is a huge diffrence. the 7 has a very rough chamber ,i can see machine marks all the way to the neck. Not very pretty in there. My other rifle is just smooth inside
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,408
Re: New rifle and problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
I just pulled the bolt and looked down the chamber on my custom 300 wm and then pulled the bolt and looked on the 7stw and there is a huge diffrence. the 7 has a very rough chamber ,i can see machine marks all the way to the neck. Not very pretty in there. My other rifle is just smooth inside
Yep, either they used a dull reamer, or they rammed it home, instead of letting it cut nice and smoothly like it's supposed to. A good polishing might be able to get those marks out without opening the chamber walls up too much. I'd have the smith snatch the barrel and send it back to Remington to show them just what kind of crap they're putting out.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,387
Re: New rifle and problem

Sounds about right for a factory Remington, unbox, fondle, send to gunsmith!
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?
YES - 33.69%
764 Votes
NO - 66.31%
1,504 Vote
Total Votes: 2,268
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC