Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

New 7mm stw shooter, need reloading data

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New 7mm stw shooter, need reloading data

Bownut, if you get a chance, try the Berger 168 VLD's. and if you want to try something really hefty with some punch try the Berger 180 VLD's.

I have heard good things about 7828, and have 1lb of it sitting on the bench, but haven't tried it. My magnums really seem to like H1000.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Bronze Member

I have been using 168 VLD Bergers with 77grains of Retumbo with very good success. I have found the 180s to follow suit as well.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
good morning gentlemen,

i am new to the 7mm stw group and my first post. i have been ready along for some time. i have a new 700 sps all factory execpt for a mussle brake and triger job. i am gettig to reload for this and cannot find any rl22,25or 33 any where. i did pick up some 7828 the other day to try. i pland on shooting the barnes 168 lrx or maybe the nolser 168 lr when they show. i see you guy seem to like the retumbo or h1000. was the 7828 not a good choice for this weight bullet.
7828 will do, but retumbo, rl25, and rl33 will do better. I'd try 7828 with data from the hodgdon site; it may just turn out to be a heck of a load.

This run on stuff needs to quit. I'm tired of playing games the few times I need something. I'm not even really stocking up at all lately as there really aren't any deals to be had anywhere.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
good morning gentlemen,

i am new to the 7mm stw group and my first post. i have been ready along for some time. i have a new 700 sps all factory execpt for a mussle brake and triger job. i am gettig to reload for this and cannot find any rl22,25or 33 any where. i did pick up some 7828 the other day to try. i pland on shooting the barnes 168 lrx or maybe the nolser 168 lr when they show. i see you guy seem to like the retumbo or h1000. was the 7828 not a good choice for this weight bullet.
Bow, first of all, Welcome to the Brotherhood!! as to your question on the 7828' and 168 LRX, or LR nosler version. The 168 LRX Barnes bullet has a lot of bearing surface. That being said, the push needs to be a slow and steady one, such as H1000, RL25, or similar. The 7828 is an awesome powder, and is definitely a player in the world of the STW. However, and I can feel some frowns already, I feel it is BEST suited for 140-154, maybe, 160 class bullets. I know it's the only thing you have now, and that alone really sucks. I had a STW at one time that absolutely loved 7828' and 150 grain CT, or Partitions. That rifle was a straight 9 twist, and would shoot anything I put into it, but it shot the 150's into a dot all day, and 7828 was the fuel.
You can use the 7828, and your accuracy will come near the top end, as that bullet needs RPM's to stabilize. You won't have trouble with a Berger, or a Nosler, but the LRX is a REALLY long bullet.
As a example, my 7 mag will not stabilize that bullet, but when shot from a STW, that has the same twist, it does stabilize. That being said, with the 7828, you MIGHT hit pressures before you get the speed you want, or maybe even the speed needed to make it go to sleep.
" BlackSheep", is the 168LRX guru here on this site. Maybe he will chime in and give you the " Secret " formula! good luck with your new rifle, and don't be afraid to ask a question or two. Once you wrap your head around the STW, you are hooked for life!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:18 AM

thanks for the input,
i have seen some rl50 any thought on this powder with the 168 barnes or 168 noslor lr.

this lack of podwer is a real drag..

i am going to play with the 7828 some. i may have to shoot some barnes 145 lxr is the 168 don't work. i would prefer the 168 for longer shots.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

I have been told you can use 50 BMG powders for the STW, but pressures can get really high if you're not careful, so I decided not to try it for now.

However, you could always call or email Alliant and find out what they recommend for starting load for RL50. I would be curious to find out as well.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I have been told you can use 50 BMG powders for the STW, but pressures can get really high if you're not careful, so I decided not to try it for now.

However, you could always call or email Alliant and find out what they recommend for starting load for RL50. I would be curious to find out as well.
Actually, the bmg burning rate powders are slow enough you will have to work at it a bit to get seriously over pressure. It can be done and you can still make a bomb of your rifle, but it is a bit harder to do than with faster stuff.

With the 171 barnes I was using 86 grains rl50 while running test loads. For the 168 I'd top there or 1-2 grain more but start 10% down at ~77 grain.