Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Need a copper load

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 PM

Thumbs up Re: Need a copper load

...the 145 LRX has been very good to me and my Ruger No. 1 STW. ...but not so much to the whitetails in Texas. First, the qualifier: all rifles are different. With that out of the way, a 145 LRX over 79.3 grains of H-1000, Nosler brass, and a CCI magnum primer delivers 3,240 FPS and .75 MOA out of the stainless 26" barrel. Not the hottest of STW loads by far - but hot enough - and pretty dang good accuracy for one of those "vertical stringing" Rugers.

It's my standard load and it will stay that way.

...and oh yeah, the jump is .045".

Good luck,

MA

Last edited by Mowdy Ag; 02-01-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: Need a copper load

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad k View Post
Cutting Edge Bullets, never heard of them. Have you used them or know anybody that has? How they perform on game, accuracy? WOW, on paper they are outstanding, thank you for your help.
Chad, where at in CA are you? The statewide ban doesn't go into effect till 2019, and its the one law that me personally will flat out refuse to follow!

Now, if you are in the sensitive "condor zone" then you need to check the approved bullet list, I would bet that Cutting Edge isn't on it. A buddy down in Santa Barbara got a ticket for using a lead free bullet that wasn't on the approved list, DFG will cut your bullet open to check it. He fought it in court and the judge said that's the dumbest thing he's ever heard and threw it out.

Remember the old saying, "Save a logger, shoot an owl"...well now its, "Save a hunter, kill all condors!".
Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 PM

I am in the condor zone and I had forgotten about the approved bullet list. I have never actually seen the list, but I will see it now. Thanks for saving me time and money.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
Chad, where at in CA are you? The statewide ban doesn't go into effect till 2019, and its the one law that me personally will flat out refuse to follow!

Now, if you are in the sensitive "condor zone" then you need to check the approved bullet list, I would bet that Cutting Edge isn't on it. A buddy down in Santa Barbara got a ticket for using a lead free bullet that wasn't on the approved list, DFG will cut your bullet open to check it. He fought it in court and the judge said that's the dumbest thing he's ever heard and threw it out.

Remember the old saying, "Save a logger, shoot an owl"...well now its, "Save a hunter, kill all condors!".
CEB has been in the approved list since Apr 12, 2010.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
CEB has been in the approved list since Apr 12, 2010.
I haven't seen the list, never will, I have no desire to comply. I'll ask my buddy what bullet he was using that wasn't on the list.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
I haven't seen the list, never will, I have no desire to comply. I'll ask my buddy what bullet he was using that wasn't on the list.

Certified Nonlead Ammunition Information - California Department of Fish and Wildlife

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

I wonder if it's possible to take the green tip out and put it in an AccuBond? If they don't cut it open it would a good bullet...