Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

Need a copper load

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 12
Thumbs up Re: Need a copper load

...the 145 LRX has been very good to me and my Ruger No. 1 STW. ...but not so much to the whitetails in Texas. First, the qualifier: all rifles are different. With that out of the way, a 145 LRX over 79.3 grains of H-1000, Nosler brass, and a CCI magnum primer delivers 3,240 FPS and .75 MOA out of the stainless 26" barrel. Not the hottest of STW loads by far - but hot enough - and pretty dang good accuracy for one of those "vertical stringing" Rugers.

It's my standard load and it will stay that way.

...and oh yeah, the jump is .045".

Good luck,

MA

Last edited by Mowdy Ag; 02-01-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Additional info
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kookifornia
Posts: 415
Re: Need a copper load

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad k View Post
Cutting Edge Bullets, never heard of them. Have you used them or know anybody that has? How they perform on game, accuracy? WOW, on paper they are outstanding, thank you for your help.
Chad, where at in CA are you? The statewide ban doesn't go into effect till 2019, and its the one law that me personally will flat out refuse to follow!

Now, if you are in the sensitive "condor zone" then you need to check the approved bullet list, I would bet that Cutting Edge isn't on it. A buddy down in Santa Barbara got a ticket for using a lead free bullet that wasn't on the approved list, DFG will cut your bullet open to check it. He fought it in court and the judge said that's the dumbest thing he's ever heard and threw it out.

Remember the old saying, "Save a logger, shoot an owl"...well now its, "Save a hunter, kill all condors!".
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Re: Need a copper load

I am in the condor zone and I had forgotten about the approved bullet list. I have never actually seen the list, but I will see it now. Thanks for saving me time and money.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,390
Re: Need a copper load

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
Chad, where at in CA are you? The statewide ban doesn't go into effect till 2019, and its the one law that me personally will flat out refuse to follow!

Now, if you are in the sensitive "condor zone" then you need to check the approved bullet list, I would bet that Cutting Edge isn't on it. A buddy down in Santa Barbara got a ticket for using a lead free bullet that wasn't on the approved list, DFG will cut your bullet open to check it. He fought it in court and the judge said that's the dumbest thing he's ever heard and threw it out.

Remember the old saying, "Save a logger, shoot an owl"...well now its, "Save a hunter, kill all condors!".
CEB has been in the approved list since Apr 12, 2010.
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kookifornia
Posts: 415
Re: Need a copper load

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
CEB has been in the approved list since Apr 12, 2010.
I haven't seen the list, never will, I have no desire to comply. I'll ask my buddy what bullet he was using that wasn't on the list.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,390
Re: Need a copper load

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
I haven't seen the list, never will, I have no desire to comply. I'll ask my buddy what bullet he was using that wasn't on the list.

Certified Nonlead Ammunition Information - California Department of Fish and Wildlife
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kookifornia
Posts: 415
Re: Need a copper load

I wonder if it's possible to take the green tip out and put it in an AccuBond? If they don't cut it open it would a good bullet...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.29%
110 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.15%
200 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 14.49%
120 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 48.07%
398 Votes
Total Votes: 828
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC