Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

My new baby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My new baby

Either 9.5-9.25
Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Nice find, it does look like the original Sendero. Does the stock have the palm swell or just a smooth neck? If it's the former it's one of the SF I's.

The one thing I'd do before getting too excited is bed it and make sure it's fully floated.

I agree with Mud man, stick with the Accubonds, Interbods, or Interlocks, and you should have a great shooting extremely dependable and predicable rifle on game.

All three of my STW's eat the 160gr Accubonds and Interbonds regularly and love them.

I also really like the Swift Sirocco but I can't talk them into making anything heavier than the 150's.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iclimb View Post
Yeah I'm thinking some 180 bergers will do the trick maybe 168's will be the go to...

Any ideas what twist these rifle's are?
I believe depending on the year of manufacture, some are 9", 9.25", or 9.5"...

I believe mine is a 9.25" twist. It shoots the 168's and 180's great.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Silver Member

Well it was a late night; tore everything down and cleaned the dust and old oil off. Was completely floated no need for work there. And I did bed the recoil lug and front of action. I also bedded the tang.

The fore-grip has a swell but the back grip I would call it more of a straight neck, it doesn't seem to have too much Palm swell, but it is bulkier than what might be considered normal.

Also in might have a line on bulk new Remington STW brass anybody interested in going in with me. Quantity determines price.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Nice pipe; a standard sendero sf ( gen 1 not 2) is a hell of a rifle. I had one in stw and am still kicking myself that I traded her. I've always had better luck with 140's in my stw than the heavier pills, but when you have as easy of a time getting a load as I did with my prior rifle you get spoiled and don't bother working with a fussy combo, hence I never did play with heavies too much.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iclimb View Post
Well it was a late night; tore everything down and cleaned the dust and old oil off. Was completely floated no need for work there. And I did bed the recoil lug and front of action. I also bedded the tang.

The fore-grip has a swell but the back grip I would call it more of a straight neck, it doesn't seem to have too much Palm swell, but it is bulkier than what might be considered normal.

Also in might have a line on bulk new Remington STW brass anybody interested in going in with me. Quantity determines price.
Yep, that sounds like the original Sendero 7mm STW.

Grab yourself a couple of boxes of the Nosler factory ammo with the 160gr Accubond and give that a ride. It should shoot at or slightly under MOA for you. It's probably not going to have the twist to handle the 180-190's well but the 150-165 class bullets should shoot very well out of it.

A benefit of buying the Nosler or Double Tap Ammo is of course the great brass!

Accubond, Interbond, and Sweift Sirocco's should shoot very well for you in it and they are all devastating when they connect with game with consistent controlled expansion, no blow ups and not clean pass through "ice pick holes".
Old 11-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Well, actually, the original (Gen 1) Senderos were a blued finish, with a heavy varmint contour non-fluted blued barrel, with a jeweled bolt, and in an HS Precision stock.

Like this:

Then came the Gen II, A.K.A. - Sendero SF (Stainless Fluted, which uses the same stock as the Gen I Sendero, but utilizes the stainless reciever, and stainless fluted barrel). These are my absolute favorite Generation, because it is what my first Sendero is/was.

Then we have the Gen III (Current generation), the Sendero SFII (which has the distinctive black flutes, and the HS Stock with the heavy palmswell).

Disclaimer - All images were borrowed from Google...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.