Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Making Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

Making Brass

So I read the post about converting 8mm or 300HH brass to STW. So to confirm. I only need to neck size 8MM. For H&H, I first neck size it, then fire form to move the shoulder. I've never converted brass so any other advice?

Also, my current load uses Rem brass, looks like my only current option is Nosler, would I expect more or less capacity? I've read complaints Nosler is soft and only good for 3 maybe 4 reloads.

I'm desperate for brass so I imagine this is my only option.!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Making Brass

Deciding between going with 7stw stamped Nosler Brass at $55/per 25(plus $5 shipping) or 300H&H stamped Norma brass at $42/per 25(no shipping cost).

Which would you do??
Old 08-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

I'm OCD and like proper headstamps... But that's just me.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkondeff View Post
So I read the post about converting 8mm or 300HH brass to STW. So to confirm. I only need to neck size 8MM. For H&H, I first neck size it, then fire form to move the shoulder. I've never converted brass so any other advice?

Also, my current load uses Rem brass, looks like my only current option is Nosler, would I expect more or less capacity? I've read complaints Nosler is soft and only good for 3 maybe 4 reloads.

I'm desperate for brass so I imagine this is my only option.!
8mm rem brass should be a single pass through your fl die set and load.
I'd use 375 h@h brass over 300 h@h as it blows the shoulder out less. Neck it to 33, then 30, then 7mm. I've done over 100 of these reformed stw's only necking to 30 cal. and that works too, but lately I've gone with two steps.

If you do decide to use 300 h@h you'll have to drop your charges a bit more because of initial case capacity, but it should be neck to 7mm and blow out, then load as normal.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

I had an opportunity to grab Norma 300H&H brass. Is that better than Nosler? I can get the Nosler brass in 7STW, but I heard it's soft. I can also Nosler in 8mm, much cheaper that the STW.

I overthink things sometimes, I hope I'm not the only one......
Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkondeff View Post
I had an opportunity to grab Norma 300H&H brass. Is that better than Nosler? I can get the Nosler brass in 7STW, but I heard it's soft. I can also Nosler in 8mm, much cheaper that the STW.

I overthink things sometimes, I hope I'm not the only one......
Norma makes Nosler's brass for them. It's the same, but on the Nosler brass, Norma stamps it as "nosler" instead of "norma".

Honestly, I have been considering buying some Nosler 8mm RemMag brass, since Midway has it on sale for about $20 a box cheaper than 7mm STW brass is.

BUT, I still have 3 bags (75) of Nosler brass I haven't even touched yet, sitting in my ammo can. I want to wear out all the Federal brass I have, first.

I almost had, until another member on here, from Alabama, had some, and I bought about 100 once-fired brass from him. I got a smokin deal, too, since half were nickle-plated Federal. And since I neck-size only, nickle-plated brass isn't a big deal for me. You just gotta keep a watch in the classifieds section and you can come across a good deal, if you sit back and don't rush. Example, I got those 100 STW brass, 50 .300 Wby brass, and he threw in a bunch of .308 brass and I paid him $100 bill for all of it. Only catch was I had to meet him up in Birmingham, but I had planned before that, to go to Mark's Outdoors that same day, anyway. So everything worked out.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Problem is that I only have 20 pieces if win brass now and I need to shoot. Want a min of 50 of 1 lot, preferably 100.