Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Looking to go 7 STW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Looking to go 7 STW

Hey all! I currently have a 7 RM that I am thinking about converting to a STW when I shoot the barrel out. I have always been a fan of some of the older calibers, owning a 220 Swift, 30-06, and 243 Win. I am also a huge fan of the BC's of the 7mm bullets that are out there.

Having said that, I was wondering if you all could give me some feedback on other reasons to get a STW over some of the newer 7mm calibers out there. I have sighted in a 7 RUM before for a guy, and I hated being on the end of that gun. Recoil sucked! Does the STW have as much recoil as the RUM? Also, what kind of velocities are people getting from the STW with 168-180 gr Bergers out of 26-28" barrels? What twist rate do you guys have? Anything else that you guys think may be helpful would be good too. Thanks for the help guys!

Joe
Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking to go 7 STW

The STW doesn't have near the recoil of the RUM, unless you're shooting some serious heavy bullets, but it will still be lighter than the RUM. Personally I shoot 168 & 180 Berger VLD's. Alot of the guys here are after speed, so they shoot 140gr bullets.

I encourage anyone interested in going STW to do it. You will not regret it. As long as your rifle is a 26" barrel. If it is shorter than 26" you will not reach full potential out of the caliber, and even at 26" you might not see 100% potential.

You will need atleat a 1:9 twist barrel to get optimum performance out of a 7mm throughout the various bullet weights, up to 180gr.

I think you will enojoy the caliber. It is a very efficient 7mm caliber.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

170-175 grain pills will net you 3000-3100 fps out of a 24" to 26" bbl. depending on propellant. I don't run many 168's but they should be 100 fps faster or more.

It seems some of the older 7stw's were built with 24" bbl's; they suffice but'll usually be 50 fps short of the 26" tubes. I've seen 24", 25", and 26" bbl's in action and all will hit book vel. with select loads, but the longer the bbl., the easier it is to get there. My current 7stw has a 24" bbl. and my Dad's rifle has a 25" rem with the porting. The 7stw makes a good reach out and tag 'em round for mid weight pills too; I usually run a 140 at about 3400 fps for hunting. Low time of flite and banjo string trajectory with enough energy to knock down deer size game well.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies fella's.

I have been looking at trying some of the lighter pills out of my 7RM too, but it shoots the 168 Berger's so well that I have had a hard time trying out new loads That's the problem though. I am having such a good time shooting my 7RM that it won't be to long before I need to rebarrel.

What is the effective range for deer sized game, if the shooter is proficient enough, of a 140-150 grain bullet out of the 7 STW? I am just wondering how much faster those 140 grainers lose energy over a 180 grainer?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post
What is the effective range for deer sized game, if the shooter is proficient enough, of a 140-150 grain bullet out of the 7 STW? I am just wondering how much faster those 140 grainers lose energy over a 180 grainer?
My pops and I have both made kills to 700 yards from sitting or kneeling with 140 sierra flat base pills. I'm shooting the 140 accubond at present with a bit better bc. so the effective range will go up a bit.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

As far as book specs and on paper...The STW with 168 or 180's SHOULD reach out to 1,200+ yards for deer sized game. I know you can take deer effectively @ 1K with a 26" .280 Ackley, and that's 2/3 the powder capacity...And there's guys shooting steel @ 1 mile with the STW's. So I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be effective at very long ranges.

Maybe some of the other guys can give a more real world perspective on capable distances.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot a 162amax at 3240 from a 26in barrel. Using h1000 I love mine killed both deer and elk past 1000 with it