Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

HSM Ammo blows primer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: HSM Ammo blows primer

This time of year no doubt they are getting slammed from every direction. Be persistent and give them a call once or twice a day till you get an answer.

Emailing them would be a good idea as well.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Silver Member

if any gas or particles would of ended up in your eyes i wonder if there response would of been different
Old 09-19-2013, 08:13 AM

Ow trust me they will continue hearing from me. Today is a new day and I'm going to be on the phone every hour giving them a call. This was the final push I needed to get reloading. Spent a better part of the night picking everything out I needed. It doesn't fix my current situation and powder and primers are just as rare as STW ammo but what can you do.
If I can't get an answer today and a honest attempt to fix this problem and my rifle, I'll be taking a few of the good rounds and over charged rounds and my rifle down to a gunsmith in Utah on Sunday and have him measure out the rounds for charge differences and fix my rifle and send hsm a bill with the data.
I understand that everyone makes mistakes regardless of how great your product or quality control might be, which is why I feel customer service is what defines a company. I'm not loosing hope or going on a public rampage bashing hsm yet. If they correct this wrong I will be on here talking about it.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

I believe HSM has a DOD contract (or did) and loads for the RBI and SS. I've gotten 338 caliber loads with Sierra 250 grain HPBT pills from them in the past loaded to my specific COAL and no issue but I also read somewhere else that another buyer had the same issue as you.

Maybe they were Monday AM loads.....

Stay away from PPU (Privi-Partisan) ammunition. I bought some PPU preloads from Cabelas, also in 338 Lapua and of the total rounds in 2 boxes (40 rounds total), 10 were no fire duds due to very hard primers.

PPU builds nice brass but loaded rounds, no way.

I did a lot of griping and actually got my money back from the importer of PPU Ammunition and no, they didn't want the duds back which tells me they don't give a sh*t about quality or detonation.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Just got off the phone with hsm. They were very helpful, they said they don't know what was going on and have been looking into it for several days and they think its something to do with the brass...
Anyways, they're checking on the status of stw ammo and once in stock they are going to swap me out. They're looking into ship times now and said they will call back later today with more info.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

BS on the "they think it's the brass" excuse. I have pulled the bullets in the other 19 loaded rounds that didn't blow primers and while the brass was all dented to hell, it shot fine when I reloaded it with IMR 7828, even using their primer, which I am sure is a F215.

Tell me what ball powder would be safe at loads between 88.0 and 91.0 grains in a 7STW, pushing a 168 Berger. That's the charge weights I am finding in the 19 I pulled. I have pics to verify and a second box of the same exact lot I havn't touched yet. I am thinking maybe someone put in 7mm Ultra Mag charges into a 7STW case.

I would think that OVERLOADED ammo is as big a product safety concern as anything out there and these guys would be doing everything to fix this concern. Glad I decided not to shoot anymore.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
HSM Ammo blows primer-img_20130908_071934_536.jpg  

Last edited by bkondeff; 09-19-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know what loading machines they use but all of them (newer machines) are digitally controlled for charge weights so I would assume that someone keyed in the wrong charge weight.

Also, you have to add the particular powder to the feed hopper and the machines have to be checked (hand weighed) every so many loads to insure they are throwing the correct weight.

I don't see any modern action blowing up in your face becauee modern actions all have venting holes cross drilled in the action to vent an overload. That don't mean it won't destroy the action but it would be pretty hard to get a face blast.