Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

How tight the rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Bronze Member

How tight the rings?

Shooting my Model 70 in 7mm STW, I've used a box of Nosler Custom Ammo that I got for a good price. I can't hit anything with it! At 100 yards, it's all over the paper, at 200 yards, it's OFF the paper!

I had assumed the Nosler ammo was just too hot, as it's spec'd at 160 grain Partitions at 3075 FPS. In fact, I shot the last four rounds yesterday, polished the brass overnight, and this morning I'm planning to start reloading them and working up a load that goes where I aim it. I figure where it goes is more important than how fast it gets there.

However, last night I looked the rifle over (really just admiring her, LOL) and I noticed a mark on the scope that looks to me as if the scope is moving in the front ring when a round is fired. Maybe you can see it around the bottom of the ring.

Do y'all agree? Does this indicate the ring isn't tight enough?

And -- just how tight do these rings need to be? Crank 'em down? Is there actually a torque value? How do I fix this?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

Re: How tight the rings?

First stop: the manufacturer's website for the torque specification. (If they don't offer the info, I'd use someone else's rings for sure. The good stuff will have torque specs.) Next stop: Torque wrench calibrated in inch-pounds if you don't already have one. There are plenty to choose from that won't break the bank.
Next stop: bed the base(s). A small "X" cut into the top of the receiver and the underside of the base at the same location, and a small dab of bedding compound in between- bases will never shift on you, short of throwing the rifle down the mountainside...
Next: lap the rings unless you switch to an insert style like Burris' Zee rings (I use them, they solve several potential problems at the same time.)
Mount and level the scope in the usual fashion (I have a tool from EXD that works great), shoot and enjoy. If you have accuracy problems after all this, it won't be your mounting system.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

Does that mark make you suspicious as it does me?
Old 07-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Gold Member

Here you go for all torque recommendations.

Torque Recomendations

I torque mine at 18 pounds with a Wheeler torque screwdriver and had no problems with 100s of rounds and they are pretty hot loads.

My 3 shot groupings average between 1/4" to 1/3" at 100 yards to 300 yards with 140gr Nosler ABs and 168gr Matrix VLDs.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 07-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
Does that mark make you suspicious as it does me?
It does make me suspect that your rifle has in fact leaped back under your scope. If you follow my previous post, it'll never happen again.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Silver Member

Clovis Man

If you want to fix the problem easy and cheap just put a piece of double stick golf grip tape under the upper ring half. Then you don't have to have much torque on the screws and it will still never slide in the rings. (Use the kind of grip tape that is paint thinner activated - but don't activate it. Don't use water activated grip tape.)

When taking the rings off the scope you will find slow steady pressure (not a lot) will pop them loose from the grip tape.