Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

How long will powder and primers last on the shelf?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How long will powder and primers last on the shelf?

I've used powder up to 50 years old before and it was fine. It was war surp 4831 and that was 10-15 years ago. I have had some powder go bad though (I5010), but as greyfox said, it'll clump and smell funky. Acetone odor = good.... funky odor = bad
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I've used powder up to 50 years old before and it was fine. It was war surp 4831 and that was 10-15 years ago. I have had some powder go bad though (I5010), but as greyfox said, it'll clump and smell funky. Acetone odor = good.... funky odor = bad
Ditto, what left said.

I have used powder and primers from 20 years ago and iy was fine. I kept it in a safe, dry & cool space.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 01-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Had some old metal can IMR 3031 that I bought from a store closing +30 years ago. Different price tags on 2 of the 7 cans. Opened one up last year and noticed a reddish dust when pouring it into the hopper. Those two with the different tags were deteriorating- God knows how long they sat on a storage shelf in the back room before I bought them.

Deteriorated powder can detonate in otherwise safe loads. To make short work of the inspection process find a sheet of new white paper. Fresh out of the ream if you can. Pour some of the powder, 4 -5 tablespoons at least, onto the center of the sheet. Pick up the corners and roll the powder around the sheet of paper a little then cup the paper and pour the powder through a funnel back into the same can. If the powder is bad you will see a rusty red dusting on the clean sheet of paper. This works very well and trace amounts of reddish dust shows up better than you might imagine.

Nothing in new powder is red colored. If there's red - its dead. Actually it's fertilizer and your vegetables will prosper.

There is no truth to the rumor that Serrano peppers turn out hotter when fertilized with gun powder.... just trust me on that one!

KB
Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

Smile Re: How long will powder and primers last on the shelf?

I have several brands of powders in cans and primers made who know when. As someone already mentioned. Open the can and smell. Sweet kind of damp smells good. My stuff is in a wooden cabinet, on an insulated north wall 20 feet away from the nearest heat source. I store my rifles the same way.