Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

How long will powder and primers last on the shelf?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM

How long will powder and primers last on the shelf?

Hey again guys, like I mentioned before, getting back into reloading and specifically long range for my STW. Cleaning out my reloading stuff and I have a lot of power and primers on the shelf but they are old--some maybe 20 years. My gut tells me to throw it all away ( bury it ) but wanted to check with you guys, how long will it last? Thanks, Mike
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: How long will powder and primers last on the shelf?

I used some that was almost that old this year, just hated to see it go to waste. If the powder has had a good seal, I see no problem. I've used primers that are that old with no problem. Hopefully, there are others that will chime in also.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

From what I've been told, as long as it's been kept at a fairly constant temperature, and stored inside and away from moisture and other elements, then you should be good to go...But if it was stored outside in a shed with weather changing and moisture and all that stuff, I'm sure you could test it first.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Bronze Member

I know that what has been said above is true in regards to primers. I used some primers that my father had from the early 70's last year when they were hard to come by. They had always been stored inside and they worked just like they should have. No miss-fires or delays.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

I used powder that was all of that old probably even older and it worked fine. As long as the seal is good id say use it.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 PM

That sounds great guys, like you I hated to waste it. I'm sure it has been sealed well and not opened in forever so going by what ya'll think I'll try it out first before getting rid of it, Thanks, Mike
Old 01-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
I used some that was almost that old this year, just hated to see it go to waste. If the powder has had a good seal, I see no problem. I've used primers that are that old with no problem. Hopefully, there are others that will chime in also.
I have experienced much the same with powder and primers. The only issue I have seen is with less than half filled bottles of powder with a lot of airspace, having clumped up , off color, and a strong acid type odor. I discard these. Full and well sealed bottles have worked fine. Mine have been stored in a cool/dry condition. I have used primers from the 70's that have worked fine.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt