Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

First true custom build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

First true custom build

I've finally decided I'm going to build a 7STW, I've been using and shooting my 7Rem mag for a while and just want a little more umph. My buddies are always giving crap for shooting a "womans's rifle" and I figure pushing a 180gr vld right a around 300fps should shut them up, I just need an excuse to be honest.. I'm thinking a 28" Shilen #5-1/2 contour with 1/8" twist, I've already got a laminate stock from another build that went a different route, I'm picking up another Ruger 77 tang safety in 7 rem with a Timney trigger. For whatever reason Ive fallen in love with this particular action and might as well add another to the collection.

I guess my only real questions are what other specs are working well for you guys. I know playing with my coal will have a huge factor in how well the Berger Vld's shoot.

Should I go for the 4 groove ratchet rifling, or standard I can't find too much info on it? I know the 1/8" will help to stabilize the longer heavier 180's.

I've read conflicting reports on converting to the STW over a Rem mag as far as overall length and certain action's ability to feed it, should I expect needing to modify my action more than just the internal magazine?

I've got an RCBS single stage press and with the volume of shooting I'll be doing will be fine for now, is there a particular brand of dies that work better than the rest for ya'll?

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First true custom build

Sounds like your friends aren't real intelligent if they think a 7RM is a "woman's rifle".

1:9 will stabilize the 180's just fine.

I use regular RCBS dies, and they work fine.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

It's more a ball busting than anything. Also the same guys that five me a hard time for shooting a 20ga for just about all small game even turkey. And for deer hunting with a 243 and 25-06, they've got 300wby and 325wsm. But it is funny to out shoot them and have the same deer dropping performance with my "woman's gun" while shooting cheaper ammo and not getting my shoulder smoked. It's more of friendly just something to mess with each other about than anything.
I've never heard anything bad about Rcbs stuff, I know the hornady twist lock dies were all the rage a while back.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

That action will be too short to do anything but feed single shot, even then with a loaded round you might have to pull the bolt to eject a live round. I had one I wanted to make into a RUM, not a chance, so it's now getting turned into a 270 WSM and it will work much much better...

This is the WSM round in there, imagine a RUM/STW case...

Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbuster0006 View Post
It's more a ball busting than anything. Also the same guys that five me a hard time for shooting a 20ga for just about all small game even turkey. And for deer hunting with a 243 and 25-06, they've got 300wby and 325wsm. But it is funny to out shoot them and have the same deer dropping performance with my "woman's gun" while shooting cheaper ammo and not getting my shoulder smoked. It's more of friendly just something to mess with each other about than anything.
I've never heard anything bad about Rcbs stuff, I know the hornady twist lock dies were all the rage a while back.
Whitetails aren't hard to kill. But they do run like hell....Sometimes. And if you want the best combination of caliber efficiency and lesser meat damage, I'd stick with that 7mm RM for deer inside of 300 yards. And if you want to shoot them 300+, I'd step up to my heavy-barreled 7mm STW. That's what I do. 99% of my deer hunting is sporter barreled rifles because we have to walk ALOT at our hunting land to keep from spooking the deer. Lugging a 20 lbs. rifle is pointless for a 150 yard (max distance) shot. Might as well sling my 10 lbs. lightweight setup over my shoulder and get to walking, like I have nothing on my back.

I've put 'em down with my .257 Wby...No issues at all. I love that caliber, but my recent good fortunes with the Berger 168 VLD's while hunting this year, has caused me to replace my go-to deer rifle with my freshly build 7mm RM, and the .257 Wby will be seeing alot more safe time. I still love to go coyote hunting during the off-season, so the .257 Wby will still be being utilized.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 02-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Posted in wrong thread...

Quote:
Old 02-03-2014, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I've had my Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW for 12 years and never have I once had to pull the bolt to eject a live round. Might have to tilt it to the side and let the back-half of the round fall out first, but never will you have to remove the bolt.

And you can buy a Wyatt's extended mag box and follower and have your smith install it, and you can shoot bullets up to 4.000" in length, as a repeater, instead of single-shot.
And that's a Rem 700 not a Ruger m77, my picture is of my tang safety M77 which is a 7mm mag originally. I couldn't fit VLDs in the mag box with it, and a RUM casing barely even fits in the mag, with a bullet (any bullet) would be impossible.