Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

First range trip with the new baby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

First range trip with the new baby

You all probably know -- I just got a new-to-me used rifle, a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in 7mm STW. Finally got to go to the range today, here are my targets.

The first picture shows both targets. I shot the bottom target first, on a 50-yard tactical range, to get a start on sighting in. You can probably see the order of the shots. The one flyer at 4 o'clock was totally my fault -- I closed my eyes and yanked the trigger. The trigger is quite a bit stiffer than I am used to and I'm trying to decide what to do about it.

The bottom picture -- which is the top target -- was at 100 yards. As you can see, the last two shots were the best, by far, and I'm guess they show perhaps .8 MOA. I guess that's OK, but I am sure some practice will help improve things.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Re: First range trip with the new baby

Trigger pull will make a difference.

Used rifles tend to need extra cleaning, as the first owner may not have cared as much? My STW didn't like Green Box Remington ammo, switched to reloads and never looked back. If you don't reload find a friend that does and ask him to help load for you. Buy the dies, powders, primers and bullets and see how it performs.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, HR. I need to order dies, bullets, and powder. Suggestions as to brands?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

You didn't say what you were shooting, but Stretch was right about the factory ammo by Rem.I picked up a used Sendero last year that had groups like yours with the factory stuff. I load 80.0gr of RL25 behind a Nos 140BT , Fed 215 and get 1/2 in or so groups. The trigger on the gun was in bad shape at the time due to poor maintenance or whatever, but it now has a Jewell.
I have some 168 gr Bergers loaded for my next trip out.
You will find components hard to come by still. I believe Buds Guns had Rem ammo available that could be shot or pulled for brass.

Good Luck
Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Bronze Member

I bought some "Nosler Custom" ammo, it was about the lowest-priced ammo that Midway had in stock. Thankfully, I had a code to use for $15 off.

Looking at my groups, I should probably admit that at least half of the blame is mine and not the rifle's.

I'm on the road, so I can't just walk over and look at the box of what I was shooting -- not the Nosler -- but it's silver and has a big X on the front. Some kind of Winchester ammo, I think - but it's about 400 miles from here! LOL!

Last edited by Clovis Man; 05-08-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Can u give up that coupon code??? I'm about to make an order for some stuff.

Thanks

Mario
Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Bronze Member

It was on the web site itself. Look for a banner that says something like "Up to $45 off".

I got $15 of of an $80 box of ammo.