Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Best way to find proper length of bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Best way to find proper length of bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Hornaday makes a tool with a special threaded case you put in the chamber. Then a push rod extends the bullet down until it touches. Then lock it down and remove from chamber and measure it up. Works great.

Jeff
I always just pull the bolt, drop a pill down into the throat, and tap lightly with a cleaning rod. I then go to muzzle end and put a register mark on the cleaning rod using a tip I cut flat. Tap out the pill, reinstall the bolt (without dry firing) and put another register mark on the cleaning rod. Measure and you have your length to jamb with that pill.
The hornady tool is useful on a ratchet gun or auto where you can't get at the bore from both ends.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I always just pull the bolt, drop a pill down into the throat, and tap lightly with a cleaning rod. I then go to muzzle end and put a register mark on the cleaning rod using a tip I cut flat. Tap out the pill, reinstall the bolt (without dry firing) and put another register mark on the cleaning rod. Measure and you have your length to jamb with that pill.
The hornady tool is useful on a ratchet gun or auto where you can't get at the bore from both ends.
That was a method I used many years ago. I used a sharpened lead pencil at the crown to make fine lines to measure from. But I like the Hornaday tool method better. It eliminates the variation you get in bullet tips and allows you to take a measurement with the comparator to get the measurement from case head to o-give of the bullet seated on the lands. That is what we are after, not where the tip is hanging. Bullet tips will vary -.010" plus on hollow points.
Different strokes..... just depends on what you are looking for I guess.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 AM

And I do truly appreciate all the help, with ya'll experience it is saving me a lot of time trying to re-learn all that I have forgotten about reloading, powder and bullets have changed a lot. I sound like an old man, I'm only 46 but was into reloading right out of high-school then life happened and got too busy. The good Lord let me live long enough for things to settle down a bit so I'm back, thanks fellas, Mike
Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
That was a method I used many years ago. I used a sharpened lead pencil at the crown to make fine lines to measure from. But I like the Hornaday tool method better. It eliminates the variation you get in bullet tips and allows you to take a measurement with the comparator to get the measurement from case head to o-give of the bullet seated on the lands. That is what we are after, not where the tip is hanging. Bullet tips will vary -.010" plus on hollow points.
Different strokes..... just depends on what you are looking for I guess.

Jeff
Usually I shove that bullet into a sized case and make a pedro for max. length for the combo. Toss it in the die box and adjust down to your final seating depth ( say .030" under) if you want. Eliminates the long/short bullet tip issue without an extra tool.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I've never seen a website with so many people who actually know what the hell they are talking about.

Few people can appreciate what a great resource it truly is.
AGREED!! Hundreds of years of FREE advice here!~!

WAITIN FOR THE NEXT