Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Best way to find proper length of bullet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 06:57 PM

Best way to find proper length of bullet?

Back in the day to find proper length ( probable most accurate length ) is to "smoke" a dead round with a candle and turn it black, load it, pull it out carefully and check the rifling marks, back it up until there are no marks. Is that still the recommended way to find a starting point? Figered things may have changed since then, Thanks, Mike
Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best way to find proper length of bullet?

Hornaday makes a tool with a special threaded case you put in the chamber. Then a push rod extends the bullet down until it touches. Then lock it down and remove from chamber and measure it up. Works great.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbass View Post
Back in the day to find proper length ( probable most accurate length ) is to "smoke" a dead round with a candle and turn it black, load it, pull it out carefully and check the rifling marks, back it up until there are no marks. Is that still the recommended way to find a starting point? Figered things may have changed since then, Thanks, Mike
I use a method similar to your except I use a felt tip marker to color the bullet. I am going to give your way (using a candle) a try.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

I never had any luck w smoking or coloring the bullet. I use the Hornady as well. They make a straight and a curved one and I find the curved one better. As Zediker recommends, it's more accurate to seat the bulled in the case long and push the whole thing into the lands. The Hornady directions say the opposite, seat the bullet short, push the case into the chamber and then push the bullet to the lands. Either way will work but both take a bit of practice.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 PM

Here is a no cost tool idea that works for me.Using one of your spent brass take a dremmel tool with ultra thin cutting tip and cut 2 or 3 cuts in the end of brass to allow the bullet to slide in and out when (firmly) pushed and pulled by hand. You can then place the bullet in the brass just a little to make sure when you chamber the bullet it will push it back into the brass as it makes contact with the lands.
Eject the dummy load carefully and slowly, then measure. Repeat 3 or 4 times to ensure that the bullet has not moved in casing as you eject it. I usually place a little coating on the bullet so it does not stick when contacting the lands.
This seems to get me a perfect zero point with the same or better accuracy as the fancy tools. Once I have that zero point I can start seeing how much bullet jump my rifle likes with that bullet.

Ray
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM

That does sound like a very good and fast way to get a starting point, Thanks so much for all of your ideas, Mike
Old 01-10-2014, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

I've never seen a website with so many people who actually know what the hell they are talking about.

Few people can appreciate what a great resource it truly is.