Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

am i being to picky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

am i being to picky

I have a lyman1200 powder measure and if im loading say 42.1 grains of powder and it scales at 42.0 or 42.2 I dump it back is that being to picky or is that part of why we reload
Old 06-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: am i being to picky

Not IMO....I'm OCD and anal-retentive, so I load to the exact 1/10th of a grain.

So, take solice in the fact that you're not alone.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member

just have lots of guys say don't need that much care to go huning but I might shot 10 rounds a year hunting and 5000 or 6000 target shooting and I one hole or very small group and most of these guys also say I shoot to much I think that's about like owning to many guns cant happen
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 1200 and it has loaded 1000's upon 1000's of rounds. I weigh to the 10th too. But if mine is not perfect to the 10th it goes over by .1 or .2. So I reach in with a thumb and finger and remove a pinch. Then drop it back a granual at a time to get it perfect. If there is any doubt lift off the pan and then set it back and it will re-weigh it.

If you are not using the plastic straw trick you should try it. Cut off about 1 1/4" of a drink straw like from McDonald's. Insert it in the charge tube and leave 1/4 to 3/8" sticking out. Then tear a tiny piece of masking tape to hold it there. This will improve the accuracy of the machine a great deal and eliminate most of the over trickling.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Broz....Your method is identical to mine.

I still need to try the straw trick for my Chargemaster 1500.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Bronze Member

thanks I don't know a lot about all of this but what I do know I try to do right in fact I know less than I did 20 years ago
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM

I do the same, to the 10th of a grain.