Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

action length for 7stw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Bronze Member

action length for 7stw

Hi guys ! I am getting ready to build my first 7STW. My question is this- I would like to build the gun on a Savage action like the rest of my guns are but are they long enough for the caliber ? Looks like most of the guns you guys have on here are built on 700 actions. I don't want to look like an idiot when I start talking to the gunsmith about the build, so I am looking for some advice on which to use. Thanks...........................JR
Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: action length for 7stw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRY46 View Post
Hi guys ! I am getting ready to build my first 7STW. My question is this- I would like to build the gun on a Savage action like the rest of my guns are but are they long enough for the caliber ? Looks like most of the guns you guys have on here are built on 700 actions. I don't want to look like an idiot when I start talking to the gunsmith about the build, so I am looking for some advice on which to use. Thanks...........................JR
Some savages are, but a lot aren't. If it wasn't built with a rum or stw barrel on it to start with, you're likely going to have issues. You need an action that'll take 3.6" cartridges. Rem la's, ruger#1's, some m70's, browning a-bolt la, etc will all do it with the correct mag components.
I believe the savage action length issue was touched on in the brotherhood thread, but I don't know how long ago. The standard ('06 length) action rifles will do very well with the 7x300win or the 7x375ruger variants as they'll fit in a standard length action.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

I was kind of guessing that I was going to look for a 700 action. Thanks for the info......JR
Old 01-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The 116 is chambered in calibers including 375 H&H so it might work. Pick up a phone and call Savage Customer Service and ask.

The 375 H&H and 7mm STW have the same max overall length of 3.6" so I think you can do it on the same action but call to be sure.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 116 is chambered in calibers including 375 H&H so it might work. Pick up a phone and call Savage Customer Service and ask.

The 375 H&H and 7mm STW have the same max overall length of 3.6" so I think you can do it on the same action but call to be sure.
A couple of savage guys were having issues with the bolt stop location and replacing the mag with a long enough one unless the rifle was built with a 3.6" cal. to start with.
A chat with a smith or a call to savage are the two ways that'll for sure straighten this out, but I know there were issues with some rifles.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Bronze Member

I talked to the gunsmith yesterday and he said it would be easier and less expensive to go with the 700 action than the savage. My budget says cheep so Remington action here I come! Thanks again for the advice.............JR
Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I talked to the gunsmith yesterday and he said it would be easier and less expensive to go with the 700 action than the savage. My budget says cheep so Remington action here I come! Thanks again for the advice.............JR
Try shopping around at local pawn shops and gunshops for a used 700 in any magnum caliber that's a beat up piece of junk. You can probably get one for 400.00 or less now that hunting season is pretty well over everywhere.