Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 grains View Post
Lle

Im waiting on some powder to arrive for this bullet. I was going try Us869. I wanna be sure the twist recommendations weren't a road block.
When they say 8" twist minimum, they want 8" or faster twist... Say 7.5 or 7" twist in this case. Most 1 in 9 barrels will be marginal if they are asking for the 8" twist, especially at lower altitude. Both bullet length AND weight are variables here. My ar shoots some 75-77 grain pills well at 9" twist, but some would be needing an 8" twist, especially the poly tipped ones.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
When they say 8" twist minimum, they want 8" or faster twist... Say 7.5 or 7" twist in this case. Most 1 in 9 barrels will be marginal if they are asking for the 8" twist, especially at lower altitude. Both bullet length AND weight are variables here. My ar shoots some 75-77 grain pills well at 9" twist, but some would be needing an 8" twist, especially the poly tipped ones.
The box says 8" twist or faster. I didnt see this when i bought them and now im wondering if its safe to load these at all. My barrel is 9" .
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
The box says 8" twist or faster. I didnt see this when i bought them and now im wondering if its safe to load these at all. My barrel is 9" .

Your 9" twist barrel probably won't stabilize them. What will happen is you will see the bullet holes in the paper targets won't be nice small round holes. They will start leaving "Key hole" slots. That's if you can get them to hit the target at all. Sometimes an unstabilized bullet will fly anywhere, but on target.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Bronze Member

Exclamation Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire306 View Post
Your 9" twist barrel probably won't stabilize them. What will happen is you will see the bullet holes in the paper targets won't be nice small round holes. They will start leaving "Key hole" slots. That's if you can get them to hit the target at all. Sometimes an unstabilized bullet will fly anywhere, but on target.
It makes me curious as to why they make a bullet for a caliber that typically has a 9 twist and require a faster twist. Im still learning and i may sound silly. But I'll ask first instead of being in the obituaries.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I am wondering why it says on the box of Sierra 180 gr hpbt 8" twist or faster?
Its just a suggestion based on their data
Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Its just a suggestion based on their data
I see. Thanks fellas for all the info i've really enjoyed this forum. I'm obliged.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I see. Thanks fellas for all the info i've really enjoyed this forum. I'm obliged.
No Problem