Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire306 View Post
Well, we have our own STW section now, we might as well start our own 7mm STW reloading thread.

Let's see what favorites are out there.

Please include what firearm you are using, including barrel type , length and twist.
Also include info for brass, bullets, primers, powder, charge weights, OAL, etc.
If you have a chrono, let use know the speeds you are getting.

Don't forget, anyone reading this, hand loading can be dangerous if done improperly.
Please view loads listed and a guideline and treat any load you find listed as if it is too hot for your rifle, and safely build up loads for your own firearm.
**Just because someone is using the same firearm you are, does not automatically make their loads safe for your firearm**

Be safe!

I am wondering why it says on the box of Sierra 180 gr hpbt 8" twist or faster?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome Topic.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 grains View Post
I am wondering why it says on the box of Sierra 180 gr hpbt 8" twist or faster?
Bullets require a certain spin rate to stabilize them in flight. A general rule of thumb is, the heavier (usually longer) the bullet the faster it will need to be spun to stabilize it. The Sierra 180gr you speak of, the manufacturer is recommending 1-8" twist in the barrel as a minimum requirement.
The lower the number, the faster the twist.
1-12 is a slower twist rate than 1-10 for example.
This means in a 1-12" barrel, the bullet will be turned 1 full revolution in 12" of barrel travel. A 1-8" it happens in 8"

Hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Awesome Topic.
The 180 gr has such a bc i think its worth a try, but a 9" twist is most common for 7mm calibers. I would think a 9" would be a little better for the 180.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire306 View Post
Bullets require a certain spin rate to stabilize them in flight. A general rule of thumb is, the heavier (usually longer) the bullet the faster it will need to be spun to stabilize it. The Sierra 180gr you speak of, the manufacturer is recommending 1-8" twist in the barrel as a minimum requirement.
The lower the number, the faster the twist.
1-12 is a slower twist rate than 1-10 for example.
This means in a 1-12" barrel, the bullet will be turned 1 full revolution in 12" of barrel travel. A 1-8" it happens in 8"

Hope that helps.
Alright...so 8" is the minimum? Cool! I read an article in one of the manuals that stated the 7mm stw takes at least 100 yds to stabilize with anything lighter than 160, but the heavier bullets stabilize quicker.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 grains View Post
Alright...so 8" is the minimum? Cool! I read an article in one of the manuals that stated the 7mm stw takes at least 100 yds to stabilize with anything lighter than 160, but the heavier bullets stabilize quicker.
They stabilize right away, but the yaw doesn't always settle (go to sleep) out until around 150 yards. Think of a kids top chattering a bit as it lands. It's still stable, but it isn't settled yet.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Bronze Member

Lle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
They stabilize right away, but the yaw doesn't always settle (go to sleep) out until around 150 yards. Think of a kids top chattering a bit as it lands. It's still stable, but it isn't settled yet.
Im waiting on some powder to arrive for this bullet. I was going try Us869. I wanna be sure the twist recommendations weren't a road block.