Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Anyone ever use Reloder 50 for their STW?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284nut View Post
I have been eye balling that 6.5 STW, kind of have the bug to start a new love affair. I would be interested to see what your thoughts are after wearing it for a while.

As for the 80+ grains, its a small price to pay to watch the magic show.
The 7mm STW is as good as gets for the 375 H@H case.......it figures out mathmaticaly V/E and powder expansion rates..... the 6.5 sounds really sexy and im sure it will shoot like a House afire but I dont think you will find the mind blistering speed you will be looking for .....I built a 257STW(As Im a 2 Bit-06 Nut) and it shot great but when it was all said and done my 25-06 Sendero was rite there with it i got about 150fps more out of the Tamale which to me was not worth the time and effort so I sent it down the road ......had I done the math first I would have just saved my money and got me another 7mmSTW......Just my 2 cents
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

I do believe that is it it also has aa jewel trigger set at 8 oz he told me and balanced and blue printed. i was going to build one out or an old 7mm when he asked me if i wanted to by his i love it almost more than m kids when i figure out how to put pic on ill post a pic
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Anyone ever use Reloder 50 for their STW?
yep... works... same as any other bmg powder.... 86gr on a 171-175 will turn around 3K fps out of her; work up of course. Tried it last year when I was working the poor excuse of a rifle I have over.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
yep... works... same as any other bmg powder.... 86gr on a 171-175 will turn around 3K fps out of her; work up of course. Tried it last year when I was working the poor excuse of a rifle I have over.
Thanks. I was trying to find info online, but couldn't seem to find any anywhere. What would be the max you would go with a 180 Berger? And what kind of pressure can I expect with the 50 powders?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Thanks. I was trying to find info online, but couldn't seem to find any anywhere. What would be the max you would go with a 180 Berger? And what kind of pressure can I expect with the 50 powders?
I'd simply start 10% down (maybe a bit more- I don't know that bullet as I don't shoot Berger) and work into it. I'd guess a top within a grain or two.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Bronze Member

Try frontierarms.com. iwas in there last week and he had all flavors butwas twenty dollars over what i normaly pay for them have 2700 so ill wait they settle down before fall and i need more