Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 07:03 PM

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Make that cci's 250's
Old 08-05-2014, 03:22 PM

Anybody tried RL33 yet? Picked up a couple pounds recently as I saw that Alliant listed some loads for the STW using RL33... Just curious what guys are seeing. It's a good slow burner and uses a lot of powder for higher fill %. Just curious to see what kind of velocity & ES variations guys are seeing. My next step is trying some ladders hoping to find some low SD's for better long range vertical groups with the 175 accubond long range bullets.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
The LRAB doesn't have a real-world higher BC. It's been tested and proven inflated.
MudRunner - do you have a link to these tests? I'd like to see what the real world BC's were on these.

Thanks!

DC
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdawg View Post
MudRunner - do you have a link to these tests? I'd like to see what the real world BC's were on these.

Thanks!

DC
It was here on the forum last year. The guy who did the BC tests said the real life drops weren't matching the ones for the advertised BC.

However, recently Brian Litz did a test on them, and i think his results were that they were close to their advertised BC..... But I can't remember.

You'll just have to do a search.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM

Have not tried RL33. Have had really good results with Retumbo with the 168 ABLR' and 168 vld's.
Have tried to keep my LR guns on the Extream powders. One of my STW's holds less than 1/2 moa at 1k with vld's. The other holds about 1/2 moa with ABLR's at 30 degrees or 85 degrees. Don't think a powder change would better my deal. Can't hold it any tighter than that.
I do a lot of guide work for whitetails and also a lot of culling and I do know the stw is their worse nightmare. One heck of a cartridge.
Ddgo
Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Kind of drifted off the subject. When I worked up the ABLR I didn't have to adjust my BC but about 5 points to land at 1k
Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
It was here on the forum last year. The guy who did the BC tests said the real life drops weren't matching the ones for the advertised BC.

However, recently Brian Litz did a test on them, and i think his results were that they were close to their advertised BC..... But I can't remember.

You'll just have to do a search.
Thanks Mud - I'll try to hunt them down and post some info here for others with what I find.