Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Barnes TSX's are great bullets. After I realized the STW was overkill for where I was hunting at the time, since my furthest shot was 250-275 yards. I bought a 7mm RemMag. For the 7RM, I shot the Federal P7RK ammo, with was factory loaded with a Barnes 160 TSX's that were XLC coated, back before I started reloading. They quit making them about a decade ago, but I still have a few boxes stashed in my safe.

The Barnes are excellent bullets, but they don't have a very high BC, and are not really a factor in the LR shooting game, because of that fact. If they would get with the times and produce a VLD style bullet that was solid copper, that would be one hell of a long range bullet.

If you want close and LR capabilities for your STW, the best I've found that doesn't tear up alot of meat, but knocks them dead in their tracks (literally had that happen this past year), was shooting my 7mm RemMag pushing Berger 168 VLD's around 3,000 fps. It is bad medicine for whitetails.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

I was digging around in my Photobucket and found a picture of my Ruger 77MKII 7mm RemMag with some of my "blue bullets" in the buttstock shellholder. Everywhere I went people were like, "What the frack kind of bullets are those??? I ain't never seen nothing like that in my life..."

These are some of those Federal P7RK factory loads I was talking about with the Barnes 160 TSX's that were XLC coated. They shot AWESOME out of all of my 7mm RM's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
"What the frack kind of bullets are those???
Battlestar Galactica?

Sorry...

Barnes TSX -- I guess that's what I'll start to look for. Gotta find some dies, primers, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy slow powder, bullets...
Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I've shot several deer with the STW and 160 SGK's... Shoulder shots they cause ALOT of meat damage and massive trauma. After the 3rd or 4th one like that I packed them up and found me a new bullet.
Got any of them left?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
Got any of them left?
I might have a box or 2 of them stuffed away somewhere in the safe...

I've also got quite a few boxes of Federal Premium STW loaded with 160 Accubonds sitting around, too.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Bronze Member

The Sierra bullets are JUST bullets, or loaded? I might try to talk you out of a box.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Bronze Member

After so many pages, I can't find the post.....A Square 7 STW brass......performance, made by whom? I have two boxes of virgin brass in the gray plastic boxes, bought them shortly after A Square began offering them. Since they stopped offering them, thought I might hold on to them for collector value, but with the shortage, strongly considering "using"!!! Any comments on performance, I noticed they seem to weigh less than either Rem 7STW, or resized Rem 8mag, which is what I started with in the early 90's. Thoughts anyone??