Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
I've loaded .270 for perhaps four decades, and .30-06 for three.

Am I correct that 4831 and 4064 are possibly too fast for the STW?
I would definitely say so, unless you're shooting 100-120gr bullets.

Look into 7828, 7828 SSC, Alliant Reloder 22, 25, 33, H1000, Norma MRP, VihtaVuori N165. N570, N170, Retumbo, H50BMG, US869.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member

What about Sierra bullets? They offer a 160-graim Gameking SBT that looks good to me. Also a 175-grain that's similar, but maybe a bit heavier than I want to try right now.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What about Sierra bullets? They offer a 160-graim Gameking SBT that looks good to me. Also a 175-grain that's similar, but maybe a bit heavier than I want to try right now.
I've shot several deer with the STW and 160 SGK's... Shoulder shots they cause ALOT of meat damage and massive trauma. After the 3rd or 4th one like that I packed them up and found me a new bullet.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I've shot several deer with the STW and 160 SGK's... Shoulder shots they cause ALOT of meat damage and massive trauma. After the 3rd or 4th one like that I packed them up and found me a new bullet.
Gee, that's too bad. I've used Sierra for years. They work well in the .270 and pretty much go where I want them to go from the Garand. Guess I'll have to use something else. Have to get another reloading manual, too.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gee, that's too bad. I've used Sierra for years. They work well in the .270 and pretty much go where I want them to go from the Garand. Guess I'll have to use something else. Have to get another reloading manual, too.
I could have had a some weird luck or something. Try them for yourself. I did fail to mention that all of those shots were inside of 250. So, I'm sure that also had a good bit to do with it.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member

Well -- the only problem is that I intend to use this rifle at whatever range presents itself. If an opportunity occurs at 60 yards, I'd hate to pass it up.

What bullets work? Barnes? Nosler? Something else???
Old 04-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well -- the only problem is that I intend to use this rifle at whatever range presents itself. If an opportunity occurs at 60 yards, I'd hate to pass it up.

What bullets work? Barnes? Nosler? Something else???
140 Barnes TSX .....Awesome at any range