Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

7mm STW Reloading Thread

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #267  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,117
Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
I've loaded .270 for perhaps four decades, and .30-06 for three.

Am I correct that 4831 and 4064 are possibly too fast for the STW?
I would definitely say so, unless you're shooting 100-120gr bullets.

Look into 7828, 7828 SSC, Alliant Reloder 22, 25, 33, H1000, Norma MRP, VihtaVuori N165. N570, N170, Retumbo, H50BMG, US869.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clovis, New Mexico USA
Posts: 95
Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

What about Sierra bullets? They offer a 160-graim Gameking SBT that looks good to me. Also a 175-grain that's similar, but maybe a bit heavier than I want to try right now.
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 04-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,117
Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
What about Sierra bullets? They offer a 160-graim Gameking SBT that looks good to me. Also a 175-grain that's similar, but maybe a bit heavier than I want to try right now.
I've shot several deer with the STW and 160 SGK's... Shoulder shots they cause ALOT of meat damage and massive trauma. After the 3rd or 4th one like that I packed them up and found me a new bullet.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clovis, New Mexico USA
Posts: 95
Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I've shot several deer with the STW and 160 SGK's... Shoulder shots they cause ALOT of meat damage and massive trauma. After the 3rd or 4th one like that I packed them up and found me a new bullet.
Gee, that's too bad. I've used Sierra for years. They work well in the .270 and pretty much go where I want them to go from the Garand. Guess I'll have to use something else. Have to get another reloading manual, too.
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,117
Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
Gee, that's too bad. I've used Sierra for years. They work well in the .270 and pretty much go where I want them to go from the Garand. Guess I'll have to use something else. Have to get another reloading manual, too.
I could have had a some weird luck or something. Try them for yourself. I did fail to mention that all of those shots were inside of 250. So, I'm sure that also had a good bit to do with it.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clovis, New Mexico USA
Posts: 95
Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Well -- the only problem is that I intend to use this rifle at whatever range presents itself. If an opportunity occurs at 60 yards, I'd hate to pass it up.

What bullets work? Barnes? Nosler? Something else???
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Terre Haute Indiana
Posts: 553
Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
Well -- the only problem is that I intend to use this rifle at whatever range presents itself. If an opportunity occurs at 60 yards, I'd hate to pass it up.

What bullets work? Barnes? Nosler? Something else???
140 Barnes TSX .....Awesome at any range
__________________
ButterBean
Remember.....Dont argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC