close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

Reply

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #253  
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:43 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 52
Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Lefty, what kind of velocity are you seeing over RL-25?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  •   #254  
    Unread 01-07-2014, 02:01 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Posts: 4,108
    Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coopdawg View Post
    Lefty, what kind of velocity are you seeing over RL-25?

    Thanks!
    haven't chrono'd this pill yet, but ballpark from other 150's and this combo shows 3300 fps. I'll get more done if this god forsaken weather ever breaks. I haven't even really played with the 7rum I bought over a month ago... only a couple of test loads to make sure it wasn't a blunderbuss. I'd normally have it rung out and a hundred+ loaded by now.
    Reply With Quote

      #255  
    Unread 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Posts: 43
    Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

    Coop & Lefty
    Thanks for the info! Results from both recipes sound great. Will give them a go and keep you posted.
    Reply With Quote
      #256  
    Unread 01-07-2014, 12:24 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2013
    Posts: 52
    Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
    haven't chrono'd this pill yet, but ballpark from other 150's and this combo shows 3300 fps. I'll get more done if this god forsaken weather ever breaks. I haven't even really played with the 7rum I bought over a month ago... only a couple of test loads to make sure it wasn't a blunderbuss. I'd normally have it rung out and a hundred+ loaded by now.
    Thanks Lefty and keep us posted... If I can't find a happy place with 168's or 175's the 150 gr. LRAB will be my next and final stop before rebarreling my STW. I've got a lot of stuff loaded to test now - I just need some more daylight and decent weather. I don't have and haven't been able to find any RL-25 around here but I have seen RL-33 on the shelf. Thinking I better pick up at least a pound of it to play with. It would probably be good with the heavier pills, but I haven't heard of too many STW guys trying/using it yet?
    Reply With Quote
      #257  
    Unread 03-22-2014, 01:02 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Posts: 3
    Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
    Boy, since the STW first came out, some awesome powders have came down the pike, and for the longest time, I was a die hard RL22 user, and swore by it, even if it is temp sensitive. The H1000 has always been good, but when the RL 25 came on, that changed everything for me, except in one gun. My standard load is now,


    82.0-rl25-145LRX
    215 GM primer
    A Square brass
    COAL is 3.688. ( Remington Action )
    Coal is 3.640 . ( Winchester Action )
    1-9.5 twist
    3440 fps

    79.3 - RL22-140ct
    215 GM primer
    Winchester brass
    Coal - 3.675
    1-9.5 twist
    3389 fps

    81.5-RL25-140 partition
    Winchester brass
    215 GM primer
    3.640 COAL
    1-9 twist
    3377 FPS

    The formulas work for me, but were worked up to, not just assumed.
    I have a Cooper model 52 and I worked up with rl-25 145 lrx. 80g was OK but 81 melted the brass a little around primer pocket. I just want to say make sure you work up.
    Reply With Quote
      #258  
    Unread 04-06-2014, 09:35 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Posts: 64
    Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

    Hey guys I have a coal question for you guys, hope you guys can help me with this. I just got my new barrel in and I ran a dummy round in and got 3.878" coal. Now all I can get into my mag Box is 3.823. Now how much of an issue if I'm going to use berger 180 vlds? That's starting off at .055 off the lands and I hear vlds like to be much closer than .055. If any insight on this I would appreciate it.

    Last edited by Stickerflicker1; 04-06-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #259  
    Unread 04-07-2014, 06:19 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: West Terre Haute Indiana
    Posts: 594
    Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stickerflicker1 View Post
    Hey guys I have a coal question for you guys, hope you guys can help me with this. I just got my new barrel in and I ran a dummy round in and got 3.878" coal. Now all I can get into my mag Box is 3.823. Now how much of an issue if I'm going to use berger 180 vlds? That's starting off at .055 off the lands and I hear vlds like to be much closer than .055. If any insight on this I would appreciate it.
    Load it at 3.640ish ........thats where its gonna get sweet at
    __________________
    ButterBean
    Remember.....Dont argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC