Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Here's a question for some of you who have more knowledge of cases than I do.

The 7 STW was based off of the H&H case, and these can still be used to form 7 STW cases. Is this correct?

Second question; The 308 norma mag is also based off of the H&H case. So, could you use the 308 norma mag brass to make STW brass?

I ask because my dad has a 308 norma that he no longer shoots, and I was wondering if I could for STW brass from it by simply resizing this brass?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post

The 7 STW was based off of the H&H case, and these can still be used to form 7 STW cases. Is this correct?

Second question; The 308 norma mag is also based off of the H&H case. So, could you use the 308 norma mag brass to make STW brass?

I ask because my dad has a 308 norma that he no longer shoots, and I was wondering if I could for STW brass from it by simply resizing this brass?

I think the Norma bass is 2.560 and the Stw is 2.840 .....as far as the H@H case you are correct but is alot easier to use 8mm Rem mag cases
Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much, but a guy can hope.

Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupper View Post

If you necked them down and blew them out, you'd have next to no neck left. Been there, done that firing a 7rem in an stw chamber. Not the best of ideas.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

I just looked into this today surprisingly. The 375 H&H will work but you'll mushroom the shoulder if you try to go in one step. You need to drop down to 8 mag then down to the stw, and some recommended annealing after the 8mag sizing.
I just formed an 8mag to stw yesterday in one shot. The neck/shoulder junction isn't as "crisp" as rem factory brass but it doesn't have a "doughnut" either.

8 mm mag is based off the H&H, and the STW based off the 8 mag.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
I just looked into this today surprisingly. The 375 H&H will work but you'll mushroom the shoulder if you try to go in one step. You need to drop down to 8 mag then down to the stw, and some recommended annealing after the 8mag sizing.
I just formed an 8mag to stw yesterday in one shot. The neck/shoulder junction isn't as "crisp" as rem factory brass but it doesn't have a "doughnut" either.

8 mm mag is based off the H&H, and the STW based off the 8 mag.
8rem, 338win, or 300win will all work as a mid step for 375 reforming to 7stw; just match the shoulder position so you don't set it back. Done over a hundred casings this way. Fireform with a mild load and have at it after trimming square.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

I am working up a new load for elk this year.
Because of the shortage of supplies, I will be using what I have on the shelf currently (tired of waiting)
I have Rem brass, Retumbo powder, Barnes 175 gr TSX pills, 215M primers.
Anybody use this combo and want to share their sweet spot and results?
This will be my first shot at loading for this caliber. Oh yeah, rifle is a factory Sendero.
Thanks in advance.