Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Choke View Post
What numbers are you talking about?
Cross thats my Bad .....I didnt pay attention although thats a wide spread as long as its grouping its all good but Im sure you can tighten it up some ....What kind of scale are you using if you dont mind me asking
Old 06-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Cross thats my Bad .....I didnt pay attention although thats a wide spread as long as its grouping its all good but Im sure you can tighten it up some ....What kind of scale are you using if you dont mind me asking

I have an electonic RCBS scale. I think it is trust worthy. I have several other riffles that consistntly have less than 10 FPS in 6MM BR and a couple of .30 cal that I keep under 15fps with Retumbo powder as well.

I did not see alot of info about Retumbo, on the STW threads, so I was wondering if others had this issue as well.

This is my first STW so I am still learning, but I have figured out what all the buz is about. It is a wicked round.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Gold Member

Wink Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
I have an electonic RCBS scale. I think it is trust worthy. I have several other riffles that consistntly have less than 10 FPS in 6MM BR and a couple of .30 cal that I keep under 15fps with Retumbo powder as well.

I did not see alot of info about Retumbo, on the STW threads, so I was wondering if others had this issue as well.

This is my first STW so I am still learning, but I have figured out what all the buz is about. It is a wicked round.
Sounds like you scale is good to go................. Retumbo is a great powder but I have never tried in the STW...... I do use H-1000 with great results and I really like it but RL 25 is really outstanding in this round as well .....I personally like the H-1000 for stability but the RL 25 is really stable and it really shoots in the STW ...And I mean Really
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just finished breaking in a new Kreiger #5 in 1:9.

So far the the best load is;

80.5 grains of Retumbo w/ 168 VLD 3105 FPS

82 grains of Retumbo w/ 168 accubonds 3185FPS

I am going to try some H1000 and 25, I am having FPS varriances of up to 70fps, but still holding .75moa to 300 yards. Would like to get down to single digits.

Lands is 3.280" (Ogive measurement) . Best goups with berger 168 VLD is at 3.278. Accubonds are shooting best at .040 off lands.
Cross, I'm going to back up my Brother, " Butterbean" on the SD, ES, issue. In MY experience, and this is just my 2.5 cents, ( sense ), if you are shooting .75 MOA at 300 yards, I wouldn't change awful lot on the load info. In contrast to your set up, I have had the opposite, situation. Single digit ES, SD, and it shot like a shotgun!!!!
I'll take accuracy over single digits all day. theoretically, they should work hand in hand, but they don't necessarily. I DO have a load for one of my STW's that does just that, and is accurate and deadly as you could ever ask for. I have to admit, it is the exception, but not the rule.
One of my STW's is shooting 140 CT bullets, and a belly full of RL22. it has always shot bughole groups with that load. Years later, I bought a chrono, and graphed it, and was surprised to see the variance, given it's accuracy, and " fatality " record! I didn't change anything, and ain't going to either!
Also give H1000, and RL25 a try! You won't be sorry!!!!
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Cross, I'm going to back up my Brother, " Butterbean" on the SD, ES, issue. In MY experience, and this is just my 2.5 cents, ( sense ), if you are shooting .75 MOA at 300 yards, I wouldn't change awful lot on the load info. In contrast to your set up, I have had the opposite, situation. Single digit ES, SD, and it shot like a shotgun!!!!
I'll take accuracy over single digits all day. theoretically, they should work hand in hand, but they don't necessarily. I DO have a load for one of my STW's that does just that, and is accurate and deadly as you could ever ask for. I have to admit, it is the exception, but not the rule.
One of my STW's is shooting 140 CT bullets, and a belly full of RL22. it has always shot bughole groups with that load. Years later, I bought a chrono, and graphed it, and was surprised to see the variance, given it's accuracy, and " fatality " record! I didn't change anything, and ain't going to either!
Also give H1000, and RL25 a try! You won't be sorry!!!!
Welcome to the Brotherhood!!!!!!!!!!
+1

x and sd do not necessarily translate to accuracy. It's great when they do as it kills acuracy issues at range due to drop differences, but I've seen 100 fps x loads shoot well to 1/4 mile and not be known to have any fault until they are shamed by the chronograph. I've got a couple of loads for the 270 rifles I own at present that are over 50 fps sd and they are just fine for their intended purpose.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

I'll third it.....H1000 is my powder of choice for all my magnum rifle loads.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'll third it.....H1000 is my powder of choice for all my magnum rifle loads.
I'll fourth it!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope