Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Howdy Elkmen!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Red face Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

80 grains

thank you for the welcome. Did shoot the last couple of days, did eke out a .910 group with the bullet against the lands, but way to long for a hunting load. This barrel only has 25 rounds through it, So far I am apprehensive, about what it is showing me. The rifle was re- barreled because it was inconsistent. I am still hoping for more.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 AM
Bronze Member

I bought an stw sendero that came with some handloads that are really up in the lands. Ive alwa preferred a little room but not much. This one has a chamber that's almost a quarter inch longer than the magazine, so all i can do is go 3.60 on my loads unless I'm single shooting.

Hang in there tho! That barrel isn't broke in yet.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 grains View Post
I bought an stw sendero that came with some handloads that are really up in the lands. Ive alwa preferred a little room but not much. This one has a chamber that's almost a quarter inch longer than the magazine, so all i can do is go 3.60 on my loads unless I'm single shooting.

Hang in there tho! That barrel isn't broke in yet.
This will help aid the having to load shorter so the magazine will allow you to be able to run it as a repeater.

Wyatt's Outdoors Center Feed Extended Mag Box Follower Remington 700

However, the only downside is that you have to have a gunsmith install it, b/c they have to open up (length-wise) the inlet on the bottom of the action, to allow you to be run them at your max preferred COL.

I am debating on havin this done, and wondering if it will decrease the value of my Sendero SF by having it done? Not that I ever plan on selling it...Just don't want to turn a $1,600+ rifle into a $1,000 rifle, you know? However, being able to run my STW 180 Berger loads as a repeater would be nice! It preferes them right up on the lands.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Bronze Member

Awesome info mudrunner! I doubt it would decrease the value cause anyone who owns an stw more than likely loads their own.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
mudrunner
I am debating on havin this done, and wondering if it will decrease the value of my Sendero SF by having it done? Not that I ever plan on selling it...Just don't want to turn a $1,600+ rifle into a $1,000 rifle, you know?
I am with 80, if you sell that rifle, it will be to someone who reloads. I would rather be in your shoes however. I have a $300 rifle that I have spent $1700 on.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Oh, I bought mine back in 2002-2003 brand new. I got a smokin deal on it, b/c I worked for the outdoors store when I ordered it. Got it for dealer cost. So, I have around $700 in a $1,600+ rifle on the used market...Not including glass. It'll never get sold.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.