Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

So I guess that means I need to go pick up another # or 2 tomorrow while they still have it? LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

Nah, I'd use that first pound to find the new load that's waiting to be discovered. Then I'd order 8lbs. I have always liked its consistent accuracy.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, but around here, idiots are hoarding powder just to hoard it, so people like me who are ritualistic shooters can't ever find what we need to keep loading to keep shooting. I'd hate for my gun to love it, then not be able to find anymore for 2 months. LOL

It took me 3 months to get more Varget, which was a huge relief when I got that call this afternoon. That means I can keep shooting my .308 more than I have been, which will be nice to finally get more trigger time behind it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Bronze Member

I hear ya, but its getting better.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, sort of....Around here the powder and reloading component scare is still going on. You can buy guns, ammo, hi-cap mags, etc...Just can't find powder and projectiles. I got tons of primers stored up, and did a powder and primer inventory sheet last night. I hope this crap ends soon, I sure would love to be able to go to my local GS and pickup a box of Bergers or a lb of this or that whenever I need it, instead of having to hoard it all and buy 5 lbs of powder at a time. The ole wallet handle that shock to go with my other bills. LOL

Quote:
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I semi hit the jackpot today...My buddy at the outdoors store called and held 3 lbs of Varget for me. They only got in 10. Figured maybe I could grab 2 more when I got there to have 5, but they were long gone. So I just got my 3. But they did have some 7828 SSC in, so I snagged 1lb of it to try out.

Anyone got any good recipes for 7828 SSC and the 168 or 180 VLD's in the STW or 7 RemMag?
I've got a pressure graph on the old thread with I 7828 and 140 sierra fb pills from my old sendero 7stw... It shot very well (accurate and uniform) but beat up the brass a bit; I found out in that pipe the book top loads were a bit hot pressure wise.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Smile Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

I haven't been here for a while. Got my re- barreled STW back a few days ago and after break started load work up today. The rifle is a 700 Rem with the action trued and squared with a 26" Lija, with a 1-9 inch twist. The stock is an HS precision, and scoped with a 3.5 X 10 X 40 Leupy with a BDC turret. I have both 160 and 175 grain bullets, and lots of H-1000. Today using the Hornady 162 HPBT match with 79 and 80 grains loaded out to 3.760 the two groups were somewhat disappointing. One at an inch and the other 1.5 or so. I am shooting 120 yards. I reloaded at 10 less and loaded three at 81, and 3 at 82 and will try again weather permitting. I am hoping for much better groups with that barrel.