Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Reloading Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Reloading Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
With the magnum's and an stw, the faster speeds reduces the need for lower twist. That's what a custom bullet maker told me anyway. 1-9 in the stw is all you'll need.
Just to be sure i called Sierra. Good folks too! He did some calculations and theses are his words "A 180 gr bullet in the stw is a very good choice. The velocities are what makes this bullet work in a 9 twist. Typically anything with less velocity in .284 should not be attempted. The stw tho is perfect. The bullet needs the extra velocity which will stabilize it. The 9 twist will allow the bullet immediately stabilize.

Then he said...you're at a ballistic peak given the caliber, twist and bullet weight. Once you find the favorite load, youll be amazed.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Thinking about adding muzzlebake to my stw any thoughts or suggestions
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muliehunter View Post
Thinking about adding muzzlebake to my stw any thoughts or suggestions
Awesome topic! I've considered the same.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 grains View Post
Awesome topic! I've considered the same.
VAIS. Loud, but very effective!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

I wonder if I could actually pitch the 180 sierra full throttle. The 171 Barnes was flakey in my rifle no matter the speed. My 7rem is eating those pills up with retumbo 'till I'm rid of them. Anyone have the 180 sierra in stock at present??
If sierra says it's a go I think I may play; I'm never crazy about "shorting" the twist rate though. It'll get you in just about as much of a pickle as trying to run the thin jacket .22's in a 22-250 or swift. Unpredictable ammo either way.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I wonder if I could actually pitch the 180 sierra full throttle. The 171 Barnes was flakey in my rifle no matter the speed. My 7rem is eating those pills up with retumbo 'till I'm rid of them. Anyone have the 180 sierra in stock at present??
If sierra says it's a go I think I may play; I'm never crazy about "shorting" the twist rate though. It'll get you in just about as much of a pickle as trying to run the thin jacket .22's in a 22-250 or swift. Unpredictable ammo either way.
Sierra says itll work.

I got mine from Brownells last week.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 grains View Post
Sierra says itll work.
Just wondering here "aloud" if MY pipe will eat it I guess. If they say it's a go my rifle may still puke on it. She's pretty fussy.

Edit:
Just checked the twist on my pipe; someone hung a 10" twist bbl. on her.... That's why she was in one day-- out the next with the 171's..... She'll never take on better than a 160'ish bullet with that twist. I never thought to even bother with looking to see if she was a slow twist rifle. I guess she'll shoot at lower pressures than a 9'er will for a given charge.

Last edited by Lefty7mmstw; 05-01-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: new info