Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

UPDATE ON NEW BUILD, hey guys, my gunsmith has my donor gun apart, and told me to bring in my barrel. He commented on the action, by saying that the threads are in very good shape, and the lock up area in the receiver are seated nicely, and that overall, this action is in very good shape. He only has to chase the threads on my barrel, because at some point, the scope base screws put a burr in the center top off my barrel. He said that he can clean it up either on the lathe, or a die. I think that when all the dust is settled, my little STW collection will be pretty nice, and it is fun sharing info with everyone here. I think that we all learn from each other, and sharing saves a lot of barrel wear, powder, bullets, and recoil. I can't believe how much this thread has evolved, and the info that has been shared, and learned. And we aren't done yet!!!! Take care everybody, and have a great Holiday weekend!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Gold Member

Well i just finished load developement for the stw i picked up this spring. Its a stainless bdl detachable mag gun that i fitted into a lss stock and bedded and floated. This rifle has turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles ive ever worked with. Ive probably shot at least 50 differnt loads using 12 differnt bullets and i had exactly 3 loads that went over an inch and those barely went over an inch. this is for 5 shots at a 100 yards. Many went into 3/4s and a few went into to a half inch. Im not a long range target shooter, more of a longer range deer hunter. 500 yards is my imposed limit so i dont worry about match style bullets. I load and shoot hunting bullets. the two i weeded it down to at the end were the nos bt 150 and Sierra fb 140. the bt got the nod as it did just a tad better and i figured at that velocity level the extra 10 grains might add something. Both of these loads shot consistant 1/2 inch groups with 7828 and fed match mag primers, many with 4 bullets touching and on opening it up to a 1/2 inch. of all the powder primer combos that one was the star of the show. I own quite a few mag rifles of about every make and every mag caliber and have NEVER had one shoot like this. Many will do moa or a bit better but most took some extened range time to find those loads. I think i could load a rock on top of sand in this gun and it would shoot moa.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Gold Member

lloydsmale,

Well all you need to try now are the Barnes 140 TTSX. Just be careful shooting 5 shot groups. you stated your a hunter. You should only need to shoot 3 shot groups. This will save your barrel/bullets/powder life a fair amount.

You would not normally anyway get more than 3 shots off at game before it's gone. 3 shots will tell you. Just let 'er go cold and shoot 3 more for verification. A neat cartridge!

Welcome to the Brotherhood!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
Well i just finished load developement for the stw i picked up this spring. Its a stainless bdl detachable mag gun that i fitted into a lss stock and bedded and floated. This rifle has turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles ive ever worked with. Ive probably shot at least 50 differnt loads using 12 differnt bullets and i had exactly 3 loads that went over an inch and those barely went over an inch. this is for 5 shots at a 100 yards. Many went into 3/4s and a few went into to a half inch. Im not a long range target shooter, more of a longer range deer hunter. 500 yards is my imposed limit so i dont worry about match style bullets. I load and shoot hunting bullets. the two i weeded it down to at the end were the nos bt 150 and Sierra fb 140. the bt got the nod as it did just a tad better and i figured at that velocity level the extra 10 grains might add something. Both of these loads shot consistant 1/2 inch groups with 7828 and fed match mag primers, many with 4 bullets touching and on opening it up to a 1/2 inch. of all the powder primer combos that one was the star of the show. I own quite a few mag rifles of about every make and every mag caliber and have NEVER had one shoot like this. Many will do moa or a bit better but most took some extened range time to find those loads. I think i could load a rock on top of sand in this gun and it would shoot moa.
Sounds like you have a shooter on your hands.......Its an awesome feeling when a gun shoots like that and I feel sure that your bedding job has a bunch to do with it ...........
Old 05-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

I just picked up some Barnes 145gr LRX. Has anyone loaded them up yet? Any recommendations on powder RL22 - RL 25?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
I just picked up some Barnes 145gr LRX. Has anyone loaded them up yet? Any recommendations on powder RL22 - RL 25?
RL22 Is what works with those babys
Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
Ditto of whatButter bean said. RL 25 has been working good for me as well. I have not shot the LRX, but two of mine love the TSX. I am curios on that bullet in 160 fashion. Let us know how you make out!!!! Have a great weekend!