Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I just went through again and saw the tail-end of the brass you are using. Both cratered primers and shiners on the head-stamp. With the brassed up bolt-face and the other signs, the others are right, you gotta step down a bit.
You will probably notice less recoil and group variance if the rifle isn't working quite so hard. You had noted heavy recoil, that is a very under-used way to look at how the rifle is behaving. If it goes up in recoil with a slightly heavier load, or feels like it cracks when it fires, you're pushing the limits hard.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys
I saw the shiny spots on other loads that I believe were a little too hot. This brass has been loaded several times and the spots came from those loads I believe.
I have never seen the brass on the bolt till I changed the bump. The bolt face is rough as is the whole bolt assy. Bead blasted and a rough black "blueing".
I'm guessing I need to bump another cpl thou?

"If it goes up in recoil with a slightly heavier load, or feels like it cracks when it fires, you're pushing the limits hard."
I mentioned on an earlier post when testing the barnes and guessing on the load, they "cracked" when fired vs the boom of the 180 bergers. I was too hot on those loads when looking at the brass. Some of those rounds are these same cases.

I hope you guys don't mind the questions. I'm learning a bunch. If you ever get into Archery I have 40 years of target shooting.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Gold Member

[QUOTE=WapitiBob;653475]these are from yesterdays session.[/QUOT Sorry Bob I was off the grid ........but I see they have got you headed in the right direction
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Thanks guys
I saw the shiny spots on other loads that I believe were a little too hot. This brass has been loaded several times and the spots came from those loads I believe.
I have never seen the brass on the bolt till I changed the bump. The bolt face is rough as is the whole bolt assy. Bead blasted and a rough black "blueing".
I'm guessing I need to bump another cpl thou?

"If it goes up in recoil with a slightly heavier load, or feels like it cracks when it fires, you're pushing the limits hard."
I mentioned on an earlier post when testing the barnes and guessing on the load, they "cracked" when fired vs the boom of the 180 bergers. I was too hot on those loads when looking at the brass. Some of those rounds are these same cases.

I hope you guys don't mind the questions. I'm learning a bunch. If you ever get into Archery I have 40 years of target shooting.
Like 7stw said those loads are WAY TOO HOT.......time to fall back and regroup before trouble insues......... those are bolt lug breaking loads.......if it was me I would full length resize and start from scratch with the pressure on the barrel in place
Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Gold Member

Woo Hoo!!!
I just got a call from the gunsmith in York, PA and my Senderos 7mm STWs and LSS 257 Weatherby Mag are ready.

The work I had done was:

- install Jewell triggers I that had gotten directly from Jewell Triggers on the two Senderos and my LSS 257 Weatherby Magnum
- recrown the damaged outside crown of the barrel on the one Sendero
- skim bed both Senderos. The one Sendero was already skim bedded but the the gunsmith pointed out that it was not a very good job because the barrel was off to one side of the stock.
- bedding job on LSS 257 Weatherby Magnum

I already have some ammo reloaded. I'm trying out 150 grain Swift Scirocco IIs.

The reload data is for the 150 grain Swift Scirocco IIs is:

IMR 7828 - 78 grain & 79 grain, Federal 215 - COL 3.675
H-1000 - 78 grain & 79 grain, Federal 215 - COL 3.675

I also have some 162 AMAX reloaded again with H-1000 76 grains, Federal 215 - COL 3.675

In addition I got back the repaired Shooting Chrony.

Looking forward to going to the range on Friday to see what kind of impact the gunsmithing work has done on the rifles and what kind of grouping and velocities on these loads.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Woo Hoo!!!
I just got a call from the gunsmith in York, PA and my Senderos 7mm STWs and LSS 257 Weatherby Mag are ready.

The work I had done was:

- install Jewell triggers I that had gotten directly from Jewell Triggers on the two Senderos and my LSS 257 Weatherby Magnum
- skim bed both Senderos. The one Sendero was already skim bedded but the the gunsmith pointed out that it was not a very good job because the barrel was off to one side of the stock.

I also have some 162 AMAX reloaded again with H-1000 76 grains, Federal 215 - COL 3.675

Looking forward to going to the range on Friday to see what kind of impact the gunsmithing work has done on the rifles and what kind of grouping and velocities on these loads.
Gamehawker, you must be chomping at the bit right about now. And it sounds like the things that you had done, will be the ones that put the meat on the table. Man, there is no feeling, like having something done, that has a tangible impact, that you KNOW os going to a show up on paper. It is so good, that you can't wait to take it to the range, ( and feel like a kid with a NEW toy),kinda feeling. Man, that all is good, and I'm tickled as you are. You are in for a real treat my friend, and I am happy for ya' dude. Enjoy,much, and keep us posted, and just know that you are about to put some real jewels in your safe!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Woo Hoo!!!

The work I had done was:

Hawker, Man all that stuff sounds great, you made some quality upgrades.....cant wait to hear the range report