Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Kevin,

Using the Nylon Brush with the patch, do you just go all the way through in the direction of the bullet and then remove the nylon brush and gently pull just the rod back through the bore and start again? Assuming you have a coated rod? And then repeat the procedure (how many times?) That's typically how I clean my barrels too.

Just learning, help.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
7stw,

Would David Tubbs "Final Finish" product be an alternative here, to going to a gunsmith?

Your opinion welcomed.
I have used the "tubbs" system with great sucsess but 7STW us right you can screw one up in a second if your not careful
Old 05-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Gold Member

etisll40,

I do not remove the brush. That's the reason for marking the rod. I use a piece of wide masking (so i know the mark is soon to appear) and mark the tape with a sharpie until the tip of the brush just pokes thru the muzzle.
I mark the chamber end after I have started at least 3/4 of the bore. Measure the length of your brush then once it starts into the throat push 3/4 of way and mark your rod as the don't go any further point.
The reason for the don't go out and then back in all the way is that you possible could screw up the crown at the muzzle causing an uneven wear point.
I have done this with a couple of factory rifles and it had made a very noticeable difference in the cleaning process time that showed issues of heavy copper deposits. I do shoot and like the kill factor on those Barnes bullets especially in the 140 7mm out in that 4-600 yard mark on deer.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Shot my 168 Barnes LRX at .030 .050 .070 off the lands as recommended by Barnes. Blew them all over the paper. Not even worth a picture. Sticking with 180 Bergers and Retumbo.

On another note, what are you guys using for a shoulder bump gage? I saw in Tubbs reloading video the RCBS mic but they apparently don't have that in STW. Are you using the Lee or Hornady caliper setup?
WhapitiBob, Sorry I missed out on your shoulder bump question but I see my Bud 7STW has you on the right track...... he is right on the money at .003
Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys.
I used the JB on the first barrel (the blue container, not the pink) and have used it very sparingly on this barrel. Maybe 10 passes a cpl times. I could give it a good lapping if you think it will help.

I was concerned about the neck ID because Tubbs was saying a too tight neck will distort the case when the sizer ball is retracted during the sizing operation, resulting in a non concentric bullet/case condition. It might be better to worry about my seater die not seating concentric rather than the neck sizing operation.

Deer Bob, put the case directly in the candle flame to get soot, not above the flame.... LOL

my bump:
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-7.jpg  

Last edited by WapitiBob; 05-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
As for barrel polishing a JB patch over a nylon brush.....just make sure you mark the rod so you don't go out of the muzzle end or the chamber. This needs to be done AFTER you clean the barrel.
This will help clean the roughness up some what. You need to spend at least ten minutes doing polishing or more and change the patches....cleaning barrel between the patch changes. It will make a difference.

As for shoulder bumping I use the Hornandy gauges. Big mags often shoot any where from .0025 -.005 shoulder bumped back. Gotta find your own sweet spot. I like .003-.0035
Hey Freebore, How are you? And I have .0035 bump on mine as well. I used a small price of plastigage on the shoulder to check my setting, and it worked just fine. I am a diesel engine builder, and we have that stuff for checking unknown clearances. I just cut a small section and stick it to the shoulder with a dab of case lube. Compare it to the chart, and came up with .0035, dead nuts.
I like to use a tight fitting patch with the JB. It let's you feel the tight spots that you may have to work on a bit more. Take care my Friend!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
WhapitiBob, Sorry I missed out on your shoulder bump question but I see my Bud 7STW has you on the right track...... he is right on the money at .003
Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Thanks guys.
I used the JB on the first barrel (the blue container, not the pink) and have used it very sparingly on this barrel. Maybe 10 passes a cpl times. I could give it a good lapping if you think it will help.

I was concerned about the neck ID because Tubbs was saying a too tight neck will distort the case when the sizer ball is retracted during the sizing operation, resulting in a non concentric bullet/case condition. It might be better to worry about my seater die not seating concentric rather than the neck sizing operation.

Deer Bob, put the case directly in the candle flame to get soot, not above the flame.... LOL

my bump:
Wapiti bob, that looks somewhat OK, but I prefer a cigarette lighter, a regular wick type lighter gives a nice completely sooted shoulder. That way, as soon as you make contact, it changes appearance. But you are on the right track now. Hope everything works out.