Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijon View Post
Hi,

Thank you very much and not only you, everybody, Dan, Butterbean etc.
S385 is easily available to me from almost all the gunshops here.

Do you think that I should go directly for benchrest primers and get it over and done with, if so, if I am correct, here is what I gathered sofar from my new buddies in the USA (i am previledged)

S385 powder
Sierra Matchking 150gr or 168gr- try both and seewhich performs the best?
Benchrest primers (CCI)
Norma cartridges

If this is all ok with you guys, where would bea safe load to start with?
Dijon,.......Im assuming here that you measure powder in grams but Im not sure anyway here is some starting load info.....I agree with 7STW on the S385 I would start with 4.73 grams(73 grains) and work up to 4.98 grams(77grains) checking for signs of pressure......as this powder falls in between the two burn rates of the powders we use I would definately start on the low end (4.73) as for primers try to use a "Magnum" primer if it is avalible to you......hope this helps and let us know what what rate of measure you use for powder
Old 05-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Dijon, all else being said, and agreement on the s385, your next question, and it was a good one, is to which primer, and I believe you referred to the CCI match primer. Well, if you are meaning the CCI BR2, I'm afraid, and partly due to being un familiar with the ignition issues of those powders, but I would opt for the magnum primer. My own personal preference is Federal 215, or 215 GM,( Gold Medal Match). Now a note on match primers,versus " standard"' is that they are not any hotter, but they are more consistent. Another primer that is not a mag primer, but a standard is the Winchester WLR primer. It is a standard primer , but is THEE hottest standard primer available commercially. The reason it is as hot as it is, is that most of winchesters factory ammo is " ball " powder, and is a little harder to lite. That all being said, I have used this primer in cases that burn around 75-80 grains of powder with great success. It even lowered my Standard Deviation, and Extreme spread from shot to shot, and overall average. Good primer selection is " make or break " situation, and that is why I recommend trying a few different ones. Take care, and think each move through, and don't overlook any pressure signs. That is why going with the slower powders is your best bet as well. Good luck!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Dijon,.......Im assuming here that you measure powder in grams but Im not sure anyway here is some starting load info.....I agree with 7STW on the S385 I would start with 4.73 grams(73 grains) and work up to 4.98 grams(77grains) checking for signs of pressure......as this powder falls in between the two burn rates of the powders we use I would definately start on the low end (4.73) as for primers try to use a "Magnum" primer if it is avalible to you......hope this helps and let us know what what rate of measure you use for powder
Butterbean, I was wondering the same thing about the units of measure, and I wasn't sure if he was using " grains" or " grams" myself, which is why I hesitated to suggest a starting load. ( that would have made a BANG!). I have a conversion chart, and one of my scales has two units of measure, grains and grams. But I think that your numbers are good starters, especially due to the unknown differences in the powder, even though the rate is similar. Good catch!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Ok major mistake on my part. I bought a winchester m70xtr barrel for a conversion. The problem is that my model 70 is the pushfeed and the newer barrel is for the claw extractor type. It is 26" long and threaded for a muzzle break.

Anybody interested?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Sorry guys, I've been working. Glad the you guys (7STW & Butterbean) jumped in. I agree with what you two have sugested for Dijon. And I'll ammend my bullet choice to a 150g Sierra Matchking as the bullet of choice with the SOCHEM s385. It seems to be the best bullet weight for that powder. I'll agree as well with Butterbean as to the starting loads. They look good on my end.

Glad we could help in whatever way we can. Albeit 7stw and Butterbean are more familiar with the 7 STW, I look to them for help as well.

later,

Dan
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Ok major mistake on my part. I bought a winchester m70xtr barrel for a conversion. The problem is that my model 70 is the pushfeed and the newer barrel is for the claw extractor type. It is 26" long and threaded for a muzzle break.

Anybody interested?

Of course it is an original 7stw barrel

Last edited by Big Jake Duke; 05-17-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Forgot cliber
Old 05-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Shot my 168 Barnes LRX at .030 .050 .070 off the lands as recommended by Barnes. Blew them all over the paper. Not even worth a picture. Sticking with 180 Bergers and Retumbo.

On another note, what are you guys using for a shoulder bump gage? I saw in Tubbs reloading video the RCBS mic but they apparently don't have that in STW. Are you using the Lee or Hornady caliper setup?