Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 03:56 AM

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
7stw,

That is one good looking rifle. You certainly have a great addition to the stw collection you have. What is bbl the twist on the sharp shooter???

I'm looking to building a second load that will fit into the magazine. Looking at the 162g Hornady A-Max with H1000. And maybe a 3rd with a 150g Sierra Gameking, not sure of which powder.

I'm leaning heavily to Retumbo for the 180g Bergers. Pressure is almost non existant with the maximum "Book/ Quickload" charges. I'm thinking that I can work up a bit further. I just resized all of my brass from my last range session and there was virtually no expansion and the only portion of the case that was being resized was the neck, even on the cases with the max charges. No other signs at all, not even the debated flat primers.....

Just waiting on a calm day for round two with the 180s.... Cant wait!

Djion,

Welcome to the group. Nice rifle definately a shooter. Please tell us which bullets you are interested in using and which powders are available to you in South Africa. It seems that the 7 STW isn't too difficult to load for, however, loading techniques depend on which bullets you are wanting to shoot and then the powder choices narrow.

We are all willing to help, so please ask....

Dan
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

In SA we have SOMCHEM powder and as I can gather, I have to use S385. How much, I dont know.
Re: which bullets I want to use, I am at your discression on this. I would like to shoot THE most accurate and stable bullet that I can find with the best Äerodynamics" BC possible. I dont mind the damage which it may cause to the quarry, as long as I can be confident that I have the most accurate bullet for Hammerhead. It will be applied for headshots mainly so I would need pin-point accuracy, the sort of bullet that would travel far and wide and group like no other. The weight is also up to you guys for guidance. The range which I would LIKE to apply this Shooter is between 100m to 750m. If I can get a bullet which can consistently travel this distance and still group perfectly, I would be happy. I am a realist though and wouldn't expect a grouping of three shots through the same hole at 500m, but at least a 0.125 MOA at 100m!

My cartridges which I use currently are all Remington. I have 400 from buying the Core Loct ammo from Remington and 240 from buying the Premier A-Frames. Last mentioned are those "silver" coloured cartridges. Will this be a problem when loading between the Silver and the normal brass coloured ones?

Thnx for allowing me to pick your brains or the loading data.

Awaiting your reply.

PS: That Sako 75 is a Beaut!!! The rest of my safe is filled with Sako's, so I have a special place in my heart for them! Just old Hammerhead and my O/U shotgun not from the same stable!!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:02 AM

Talking Stw freezer

Great thread

I bought my sendaro new when they first came out ...96? Was my first NEW rifle , stainless,fluted,syth plus a excellent adjustable trigger ,40x I think .
Its being my goto rifle till now
I have used nos part ,grandslams, ttsx ...the animals are big here and I dont use less then 160gr bullets for hunting
So heres the stw kill list
2 moose np
6 mulies np
1 elk np
2 elk ttsx
2 moose ttsx
1 mulie gs
1 elk gs
My experiance is the GS and Np tend to drop them like a rock with a heartlung shot , most dont exit , all energy seems to be transfered to animal
the ttsx shoot better but they dont seem to give the animal the womp that the gs/np do , and they dont leave good blood trails as there entry/exit holes tend to be small.
I did recover a ttsx bullet from a elk , hit rib, went threw liver, hit rib on exit ,stuck in skin , it has the classic perfect mushroom petal . the animal still managed to run 75yrds into a ravine .it took me almost a hr to track it there, only blood was small drops about 20ft apart . Elk are the toughest animals to drop.. moose with a heartlung shot, ttsx threw & threw still turned around and ran 60 yrds , easy to find as he was in a clearcut.
I prefer to do head or neck shots but sometimes its not possible .I never shoot a shoulder ,I want all the meat

looking at trying the new nosler E tip ,or going to 175gr ttsx, also I have had the same problem with the AB tip getting broken off from handling the loose rounds when hunting .

plus I also have a 120 noslar and 110 tnt varmit load

Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijon View Post
Hi, thanks for the welcome.

In SA we have SOMCHEM powder and as I can gather, I have to use S385. How much, I dont know.
Re: which bullets I want to use, I am at your discression on this. I would like to shoot THE most accurate and stable bullet that I can find with the best Äerodynamics" BC possible. I dont mind the damage which it may cause to the quarry, as long as I can be confident that I have the most accurate bullet for Hammerhead. It will be applied for headshots mainly so I would need pin-point accuracy, the sort of bullet that would travel far and wide and group like no other. The weight is also up to you guys for guidance. The range which I would LIKE to apply this Shooter is between 100m to 750m. If I can get a bullet which can consistently travel this distance and still group perfectly, I would be happy. I am a realist though and wouldn't expect a grouping of three shots through the same hole at 500m, but at least a 0.125 MOA at 100m!

My cartridges which I use currently are all Remington. I have 400 from buying the Core Loct ammo from Remington and 240 from buying the Premier A-Frames. Last mentioned are those "silver" coloured cartridges. Will this be a problem when loading between the Silver and the normal brass coloured ones?

Thnx for allowing me to pick your brains or the loading data.

Awaiting your reply.

PS: That Sako 75 is a Beaut!!! The rest of my safe is filled with Sako's, so I have a special place in my heart for them! Just old Hammerhead and my O/U shotgun not from the same stable!!
Dijon,

From what I've seen so far, SOCHEM S385 is similar in Burn Rate to our Hodgdon 4831 and is a fast burning powder for the 7 STW. I'm not sure of a starting load for this powder as I've never heard of SOCHEM powders before. Maybe some one with more experience with this powder can chime in.

I see that SOCHEM does have a slowder buning powder called B-12.7 and according to the burn rate charge is most similar to our Retumbo and H870 and would be good fothe heaviest of bullets.

If you are limited to S385, I'd stick with a lighter bullet around 150-165g. as you are not worried about bullet construction and accuracy is your pimary goal, I'd lean toward a Match style bullet. Sierra Matchkings are the easiest to get shooting and are extremely accurate. They make a 150g, 160g, and 168g version. A 168g Berger would serve you well.

The "Silver" brass is Nickel plated and can be reloaded just the same as the Remington brass. Just make sure that you apply enough lube to he case neck and body when resizing them. They are a harder metal than the Yellow brass casings and aren't as forgiving when sizing.

As for perfect grouping loads, I'm still on my own Journey for them..... I'm sure you rifle will shoot quite well, I'll look around a bit more an see If I can find any relevant load data for S385.

Hope this helps,

Dan
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

I've got a lefty m700BDL in 7mmstw wearing a Bushnell Elite 8-32x40 on leopold ring/bases myself. Was using a SenderoSF in 7mmstw, and recently traded it for the re-barreled BDL with an unknown brand custom barrel.

It shoots as well as the Sendero, so I will be using it instead of my lefty 300win as the all around rig this fall. 140 Accubonds with a dose of rl25 and a 215 in win brass for now. Will transition to rem brass as the win stuff dies.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

If anyone is interested there is a Winchester 70 Classic Laredo LRH 7mm STW for sale on Gunbroker right now.

It looks like it is in good condition.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 05-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
If anyone is interested there is a Winchester 70 Classic Laredo LRH 7mm STW for sale on Gunbroker right now.

It looks like it is in good condition.
It does look good and it has a fluted barrel
Old 05-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
It does look good and it has a fluted barrel
Lee,

Why don't you but it and you can have twin Laredo LRH 7mm STWs like I have twin Sendero 7mm STWs!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum