Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Did I miss somethin' here? Jpeg? ( I get the rest of it) LMFAO.
Click this link for the camo pattern
http://www.blackicecoatings.com/imag...ORNINGWOOD.jpg
I didn't want to post it directly, and get a ban!
Also, pay attention to the name of the file!!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Jim,
I am with ButterBean, you can never have too many stw's and that Winchester will make you a good one. I own two for now, one has a 26in. 5A douglas and it shoots great, the other one is a Rem. 700 stainless with a 26in. Factory barrel rechambered to 7stw and it is the one I carry the most because of it's weight. I am a hunter and the heavy barrel gun gets very heavy by the end of deer season when the rut is in high gear. The lighter gun doesn't shoot as good as the custom barrel, but it isn't bad, shoots .6 MOA with 160 AB's and yes it does heat up fast and groups get big after three shots, but I usually only need one, it's a stw. The last year I hunted with the heavy barrel rifle, I would leave it in the blind I was hunting in just so I didn't have to carry it in and out on the long walk. I love both rifles though and will carry the heavy gun some just because it is such a good shooter. The lighter gun is also a lot quicker to get out the window for the quick shots I have to deal with all the time. I killed a 9 point at 304 yds. This past season and almost didn't get the shot, but was able to get on him quick with the lighter gun.
It is what you prefer, not what I prefer though. I don't know what my next one will be, but if the rifle is chambered in stw, I will buy it just because it is a stw.
FE
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

7stw,
Been out of pocket for a while, but it looks like the stw's just find you and a fine one at that. A Winchester sharpshooter in rare, don't see them down here in the south. remington's are king down here, no one seems to like Winchesters so any model 70 is rare. I really like the one's I own and they have very smooth actions.
FE
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oliver View Post
Hey Guys,
A couple of questions:

1. How many STWs are too many?

2. What is the lightest weight that makes sense for an STW with a 26 inch bbl?

I have an early unmodified STW Sendero and another Sendero with a 26" Krieger bbl. about the same contour as the Sendero bbl. but un-fluted, so it's a bit heavier than the Sendero.

Thinking about rebuilding a Win. 70 Winlite .338 Win mag (pushfeed) into a lighter STW.
I would want at least a 26" bbl. probably fluted for weight and maybe use the Winlite stock.
I think it's actually a McMillian fiberglass sporter style stock that Winchester used some years ago.

Suggestions as to bbl. weight/contour? Comments?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim before you take apart that 338 win, take a look at the 338sin thread. I am having mine rechambered by sin arms. Lots to learn about it. You have a few STWs, that 338sin will cover everything above the 7mm!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Click this link for the camo pattern
http://www.blackicecoatings.com/imag...ORNINGWOOD.jpg
I didn't want to post it directly, and get a ban!
Also, pay attention to the name of the file!!
Wow, NOWWWWW I get the picture, literally!!!! I should make that my wall paper!!! Ha ha .thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ea View Post
7stw,
Been out of pocket for a while, but it looks like the stw's just find you and a fine one at that. A Winchester sharpshooter in rare, don't see them down here in the south. remington's are king down here, no one seems to like Winchesters so any model 70 is rare. I really like the one's I own and they have very smooth actions.
FE
Fred, I can't even begin to tell you haw nice this thing is. I would have to say that is is very rare, as I don't know how many of these were produced. I have been drooling over that thing ever since I first saw it. Now, deep down, I have in the past been a Remington man, although, the NEW ones suck. But Winchester has made some fine rifles over the years. My son has a 7 mag, in a synthetic stock, black barrel, etc, that shoot out lights. I originally owned it, and now he has it. That 26 in barrel on that thing is Mint. But even if a person is " brand loyal" , it would be tough to walk away from this thing. I am probably going to do the deal this weekend. I can't wait to get it in my gun cabinet. The owner said that he guarantees it is at least as accurate as my Senderos, or my semi custom. He is also the guy that I bought my Sako STW from. So he is a STW fan as well. He has a enormous game room in his gun shop, and told me that a large percentage of his game fell to a STW, including african game. He has three STW's , and two of them are full blown customs. ( one is a Sako like mine).
I will be sure to add pix as soon as I get it. I will need a little help, cause I am computer stupid, but gun smart!!! Ha ha .take care, good to here from you!!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oliver View Post
Hey Guys,
A couple of questions:

1. How many STWs are too many?

2. What is the lightest weight that makes sense for an STW with a 26 inch bbl?

I have an early unmodified STW Sendero and another Sendero with a 26" Krieger bbl. about the same contour as the Sendero bbl. but un-fluted, so it's a bit heavier than the Sendero.

Thinking about rebuilding a Win. 70 Winlite .338 Win mag (pushfeed) into a lighter STW.
I would want at least a 26" bbl. probably fluted for weight and maybe use the Winlite stock.
I think it's actually a McMillian fiberglass sporter style stock that Winchester used some years ago.

Suggestions as to bbl. weight/contour? Comments?

Thanks,
Jim
Well, question 1 has no simple answer. The short answer is you can't have TOO many. ( but I'm working on it) . You might say that obsession is a player, but I know guys with eight 308's. I now own including the one that I am building, 4' and am loading for five. I gave one to my kid as a graduation gift. Now I just bought/ traded this Sharpshooter. They each have there own personalities. One gun shoots light bullets, another shoots heavy , etc.
As far as what is a acceptable weight, a standard contour , mag contour in a decent stock is still manageable. My Sako is a " hunters" rifle, and is really accurate. Sometimes it is nearly as accurate as the Sendero. Think about what you want it for, and build it, it will shoot.