Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
i like the women on that stock jpeg! If you look at it too much you might miss an animal in the crosshairs, you know, those short curly hairs can be distracting!
lmfao!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

I have noticed that most of you guys are listing loads for the 140 gr. bullets. What about the 160 class? It seems that that is where the extra power gets behind a high bc bullet and outshines most other hunting rounds.

What is the highest bc in 140? Amax is a reported 625 in 162 gr.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
7stw, I'm interested in the pictures of the new rig when it arrives. I'm going to look for some pictures, it sounds like it is custom though? Especially with a McMillan stock. I'm buying a McMillan next, either the M-24, 40 or the HTG.. I like when the palm swells area is narrower as I often switch from sling to carrying and it's more natural when hiking on hills where you can slip. Does anyone own an HS Precision Pro-Series 2000?

Do anyone know if I have my barrel fluted to reduce some of the front end weight it would impact the accuracy? Does it need to be re-heat treated?

Just got back from Turkey hunting but without a bird! There's always next weekend or the grocery store!
Ed, yes it is a Custom, but it is a Factory custom. Winchester made these awhile back, when they where in New Haven. The only thing " Winchester" has into it is the action. The rest of the gun is premium aftermarket stuff. The action is s " select" and is hand honed, and trued in there custom shop.I saw one a few years ago in 300 win mag, a friend of mine in maryland owns it, it is a absolute lazer. as I said before, the barrel, is a Schneider, stainless, the action is black, and the stock is a McMillan, and it is bedded.
As far as your barrel goes, if you do get it fluted, your POI will change, because besides making it lighter, and helps it cool quicker, due to added surface area, it also stiffens the barrel therefore most probably POI will be affected. I am not sure about the heat treatment, as to if it needs to be done or not. When you flute a barrel after the fact, it does " stress" the barrel. Some say that cryo treating is a even better way to go to releive stress.
And what is this, no Turkey???? My area is eat up with them, and New Hampshire is loaded with them too! I haven't been in a few years, maybe I should go and de- stress myself. Take care!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post
I have noticed that most of you guys are listing loads for the 140 gr. bullets. What about the 160 class? It seems that that is where the extra power gets behind a high bc bullet and outshines most other hunting rounds.

What is the highest bc in 140? Amax is a reported 625 in 162 gr.
I think it is more of a mixed bag. Some of the guys are shooting 180's, I have been shooting 168's, and 162 A- Maxes, 150 BT, 154 spire point, etc. One of my guns loves 140 CT, and another likes 140 TSX. I am building one as we speak that I want to shoot the 180's out of it exclusively. The 180's are growing on me. ( some one here talked me into them) Ha ha .
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I like the women on that stock jpeg! If you look at it too much you might miss an animal in the crosshairs, you know, those short curly hairs can be distracting!
Did I miss somethin' here? Jpeg? ( I get the rest of it) LMFAO.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Hey Guys,
A couple of questions:

1. How many STWs are too many?

2. What is the lightest weight that makes sense for an STW with a 26 inch bbl?

I have an early unmodified STW Sendero and another Sendero with a 26" Krieger bbl. about the same contour as the Sendero bbl. but un-fluted, so it's a bit heavier than the Sendero.

Thinking about rebuilding a Win. 70 Winlite .338 Win mag (pushfeed) into a lighter STW.
I would want at least a 26" bbl. probably fluted for weight and maybe use the Winlite stock.
I think it's actually a McMillian fiberglass sporter style stock that Winchester used some years ago.

Suggestions as to bbl. weight/contour? Comments?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oliver View Post
Hey Guys,
A couple of questions:

1. How many STWs are too many?

2. What is the lightest weight that makes sense for an STW with a 26 inch bbl?

I have an early unmodified STW Sendero and another Sendero with a 26" Krieger bbl. about the same contour as the Sendero bbl. but un-fluted, so it's a bit heavier than the Sendero.

Thinking about rebuilding a Win. 70 Winlite .338 Win mag (pushfeed) into a lighter STW.
I would want at least a 26" bbl. probably fluted for weight and maybe use the Winlite stock.
I think it's actually a McMillian fiberglass sporter style stock that Winchester used some years ago.

Suggestions as to bbl. weight/contour? Comments?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, First off there is no such thing as to many STW's and as for the barrel Im a heavy barrel fan so I would stay with at least a varmit contour if you dont mind the weight,I have a buddy who has a skinny barrel BDL that shoots awesome for three rounds and then it starts stringing them it always comes back but three shots is it for about twenty minute cool down but like I said its a factory tube, as for building a Winchester, You go Brother,I know I love mine

Last edited by ButterBean; 05-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.