Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
Thanks. Question for you and others that have the same gun. What have you done in an attemp to try and make it as accurate as possible? Mine still has the factory stock which I think I will change out next year and get it bedded. I have adjusted the trigger as best I can but that is it.

The 4 loads I loaded up the other day are:

140gr AB 77.5gr 7828ssc Federal 215 primer
140gr TTSX 77.5gr 7828ssc Federal 215
140gr AB 79gr RL25 Federal 215
140gr TTSX 79gr RL25 Federal 215

I have not had the opportunity to shoot them yet.
First things first. My stock is the synthetic one. I have not bedded it yet, but am getting geared up to do so. I might actually pillar bed it as well. It is going to be tricky, but I think I can pull it off. That front action screw has a notch cut into the channel at the recoil lug. I have looked around for aftermarket stocks. I found one made by lone wolf. It is pricey!!!! Somebody said McMillan makes one as well. I am not sure what to do about the stock. It is better than most, but it can be improved. Do you have the same, or do you have the wooden stock?
As far as your loads, they seem to be on track for good starters. I have three STW's, and am building another as we speak. A couple of the loads you have there are close to some of the ones that work for me. Overall, I have had my best overall performance with RL 22. That stuff makes um' sing! IMR 7828 is awesome as well.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, I have the same stock and have been told by a couple gunsmiths that attempting to bed it was going to be a futile effort. McMillan does make an aftermarket stock for it I just have not pulled the trigger on buying it yet. Thanks for the tip on the RL22 I will have to try it also.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

7stw - what scope do you have on yours. I currently have a Leupold VX-2 3X9X40 I am looking to upgrade also.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Nice rig Black sheep.....What kind scope did you say you were gonna put on it?........As far as the stock Brownellshas a really good selection of paints for stocks that really look good I have some pics of one my Buddy just did if your interested
Its gonna wear a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 with the TMR reticle. EGW rail and Burris Signature Zee rings on the way. I'm curious about the recoil pad on this one. (Im out of town right now, can't check it out) from the pic, you can see that it's really thin, and there's a thin aluminum spacer between it and the stock. I'm wondering if it is a mercury recoil reducer?!?!? The stock has a really fat palm swell, and dual front swivels (most forward one is broken off) So, I'm thinking it is not the factory sendero stock. Can't wait to get back home and rip it apart! Oh, I was also able to get 100rds of new remington brass off of Gunbroker for $106.25 shipped! Can't wait!!!
On edit: Yeah, would love some pics for ideas!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-7mmstw.jpg  

Last edited by Black Sheep; 05-05-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added text
Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Bronze Member

Any Alberta Guys on here know if anyone has and brass in stock, not have much luck finding any.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
7stw - what scope do you have on yours. I currently have a Leupold VX-2 3X9X40 I am looking to upgrade also.
Currently, I have a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 AO 44mm. Sharp and clear optics, bought it used, great price. Works great. I prefer higher magnification for when I am doing old work, and long-range hunting. It is easier on my eyes too. I have a astigmatism in my right eye, and when I look through a scope too long, it dives it nuts. A high power, CLEAR scope is a HUGE help.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Its gonna wear a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 with the TMR reticle. EGW rail and Burris Signature Zee rings on the way. I'm curious about the recoil pad on this one. (Im out of town right now, can't check it out) from the pic, you can see that it's really thin, and there's a thin aluminum spacer between it and the stock. I'm wondering if it is a mercury recoil reducer?!?!? The stock has a really fat palm swell, and dual front swivels (most forward one is broken off) So, I'm thinking it is not the factory sendero stock. Can't wait to get back home and rip it apart! Oh, I was also able to get 100rds of new remington brass off of Gunbroker for $106.25 shipped! Can't wait!!!
On edit: Yeah, would love some pics for ideas!
Blacksheep, Welcome to Brotherhood!!!! Nice Hot Rod! It looks like it is going 300 miles an hour standing still with that orange paint. What scope is that , that is on it now? I know it is a Leupold, but what model? Do you have plans for the scope? If you do not, I may be interested. I am upgrading some glass on a few of my rifles.
You are in for a fun ride with that STW. Once you get it to shoot to your liking, you will find excuses to take it to the range and shoot it. Anytime!!! They are truly awesome, and flat out smoke deer in there tracks. Take care of it, it will take care of you. Dont be afraid to ask a question, or if something isn't right, post a comment, someone will chime in and help you out! Take care, and all the best on your new toy!