Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Wouldn't it be cool if WE, could somehow get a message to Layne Simpson at Shooting Times Magazine, and invite him to read through some of the threads in this ," blog" that we have formed? In a way, it would end up being a tribute, sorta' but I think he would be impressed. The RE- surgence of this awesome cartridge is just that, just plain awesome, and undeniably the baddest 7mm cartridge out there. There are faster, but not better. How do you guys suppose we could do such a thing? Maybe he would even drop us a hint or two, seeing how he is the maker! What do ya think?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Academy View Post
My new Viper PST 6- 24x 50 FFP in EBR-1 MOA just came in. I cant wait to mount it on my 7STW and see how she works!
I have the same scope on my two Remington 700 Sendero 7mm STW rifles.

If you are like me you are absolutely going to love it!

What mounts and rings are you using with the scope?

The set-up I use on each of my two Senderos is a 20 MOA EGW for the Picatinny rail and low Burris 30mm Tactical Rings. They seem to hold pretty well with the recoil and with the 20 MOA rail I can dial it out to over 1,400 yards if I want.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if WE, could somehow get a message to Layne Simpson at Shooting Times Magazine, and invite him to read through some of the threads in this ," blog" that we have formed? In a way, it would end up being a tribute, sorta' but I think he would be impressed. The RE- surgence of this awesome cartridge is just that, just plain awesome, and undeniably the baddest 7mm cartridge out there. There are faster, but not better. How do you guys suppose we could do such a thing? Maybe he would even drop us a hint or two, seeing how he is the maker! What do ya think?
That would be pretty cool Bob!

I bet someone at "Shooting Times Western" still knows how we could get in touch with Layne Simpson.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

Well, I'm now officially in the Brotherhood! Just filled out the FFL paperwork yesterday for my new baby I got off of gunbroker. Mounts and rings are on order, but the scope is already waiting! Picked up a Rem 700 SPS stainless in 7mag for $500 delivered at the same time, Looks like I am going to be spending some time at the reloading bench, and out at the range. Dangit, my life sucks Now I gotta figure out what I am going to do about the bright orange/sparkly stock!!!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-7mmstw.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Awesome idea 7stw I think we are doing him proud.........My self I've got trouble in paridise......got some trigger time today and once again the STW shot AWESOME with the only load I have loaded so far (RL22@79gr Barnes 140, 215m) 5 groups all under .4 @ 100yd with a full value wind,But when I got back in lab I found that I had flat primers .......I am depressed
Old 05-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

First post for me. I have owned a Stock Sako 75 7mm STW for about 5 years now and sadly just getting into reloading. I have had buddies load for me in the past. I just Loading some 140gr AB and 140gr TTSX. I have been using 160gr AB with great success for the past 3 hunting seasons.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako 75 View Post
First post for me. I have owned a Stock Sako 75 7mm STW for about 5 years now and sadly just getting into reloading. I have had buddies load for me in the past. I just Loading some 140gr AB and 140gr TTSX. I have been using 160gr AB with great success for the past 3 hunting seasons.
Hey Sako,Welcome aboard ........ A wealth of knowledge on the STW here and lots of good folks, If you have a question just ask and you shall receive........Welcome to the Brotherhood