Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

WapitiBob,
Have you ever tried those Berger 180 VLDs on a wapiti ? My second 7mm STW was a Model 70 factory job that became a 300 Weatherby. It has accounted for 7 bulls and other assorted western game over the last 10 years. Now I'm building another STW as a long range elk rifle but I have no experience with the 7mm STW on elk. I've have shot elk with the 300 Weatherby using, Nosler Accubonds, Swift A-frames and Barnes TTSX's. I see the boys on Best of the West bowling big bulls with VLD's but I'm a bit skeptical about a bullet that penetrates 3 inches and grenades.

I be interested in some real life feedback.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Haha, let's chime in on 168 & 180 berger hunting vld guys, 7mm only...

What have you harvested with the 7stw and 168 bergers or 180 bergers.

I'm just starting re-loading some.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Bronze Member

Question Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

That was my question, I guess that I did not state it accurately? I have used Berger VLDs in 1000 and 600 yd bench rest competition shot out of a 6.5x284 Norma. They kill the hell out of target paper.

Who has experience with the Berger VLD's on elk ?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

River, I haven't shot a thing with this gun. I'm a bowhunter but reserve WY Antelope for a rifle hunt. I started out wanting a 6.5 x 284 for Antelope then decided I might like to pop a Cow while in WY so I bumped it up to the STW.

I want a bullet for both Antelope and Elk. Not sure what that is at this point as I don't have much rifle experience. From what I read, the VLD's are a behind the shoulder bullet, Barnes are a high shoulder bullet and the Accubonds are a combination of both. Now that I have seen the gun shoot I can go back to the Accubonds as well as try the Barnes. I like the TTSX principal and see they are available in 150's. I think I'll go down and grab a box of those.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Etisll40,
You are right on the brass issue, we need some GOOD brass to be made by a reputable maker, Lapua, Norma. I think they will in time.
Now, on your 6.5-55, things do make sense, IF the neck was cut with with a comp reamer, which means neck turning is needed. I have seen some some that a empty case will fit in, but a loaded one will not. WAY to tight for the average shooters like us. You may want to cerosafe that chamber, and take some measurements. I think that the ammo was more the issue than anything, but it is better to be a ton safe, than a little bit sorry. Headspace gages are always a good idea. I use them from time to time. Headspace dosen't change unless the rear of the bolt face wears. But that is a awful lot of wear to effect headspace. I put moly grease on the rear of my lugs. It makes it very smooth, and is a excellent wear guard. Take care, and I hope things work out for you on that 6.5. What a great bullet.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That was my question, I guess that I did not state it accurately? I have used Berger VLDs in 1000 and 600 yd bench rest competition shot out of a 6.5x284 Norma. They kill the hell out of target paper.

Who has experience with the Berger VLD's on elk ?
Ok, I'll bite. I have personally experienced three blow up on impact scenarios. At different distances, and two different calibers. I had two blow ups with a seven mag, one at 365 yds, and one at about 230 yards. Velocity was 2977' bullet was a 168 VLD. It pains me to admit this, because these bullets truly do shoot, and I can get them to shoot without much problems.
The third was with my 300 RUM@ 220 yards. That bullet was traveling fairly quick, and may explain it's demise, but the seven really had me wondering why they blew up.
Now, if you talk to someone else, they may tell you a different story. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Since that time, I have altered most of my formulas that involved them. I can feel the heat raining down on me pretty soon now!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

Wapatibob,

I've owned 2 rifles that needed pressure in their fore-ends to shoot. One was a Howa .243 the other was a Winchester model 70 .223 WSSM. both has sporter contour barrels, but the .223 had an even lighter weight barrel.

The fore-end pressure settled them down for some reason and they began to shoot much better. All of my other rifles have seemed to shoot best with a stress free, free floated barrel and only one has exhibited stringing due to barrel heat up.

Dan