Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hey guys, as a few of you know, I am building another STW. I went to my gun shop today, to pay some more toward the donor rifle. My balance is less then $100 bucks now. Anyway, I asked the guy in the gunsmithing area about bottom metal for a long action BDL type. He pulls out this silver/ grey bottom set up, that came off of a 40x, in 6.5-284. He put on a custom magazine, and the bottom metal was the take off. I asked him what did he want for it, he said $25.00. I said SOLD. It is mint, no scratches, GREAT price. This one is different from any type I have seen before. It is similar to a savages center feed magazine. The follower plate is flat, and the top edges rolled inward to trap the round from popping out. It is presently set for the diameter of the 6.5 -284, which is fatter then the stw. It works well when I put a 300 ultra mag case into it. I think I can use the follower plate and spring from the ADL set up that the donor gun has. Just put the spring into the floor plate, and leave the box attached to the receiver. I'll figure out something, but at least I have some pieces to work with.
I know of some guys that have paid WAY more than what I paid for the bottom metal. That's one more thing off the list, and closer to being done. I also ordered three sets of Parrish pillars from Brownells. Two sets are for the two 700 LSS's that I have, and the thirds for the stock that I have decided on. Initially I am going to use one of the HS stocks that I have from the sendero, but in the end, I am going to get a Bobby Hart stock from Stockys. I decided to get the " Tawny Brown" color. I will pillar bed and glass bed, ( JB Weld) the lug and two inches forward. This thing is going to be sweet. ( now that I have thought about how I want it to be). Sorry about the long read, just getting excited now. Take care all!!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Hey guys, as a few of you know, I am building another STW. I went to my gun shop today, to pay some more toward the donor rifle. My balance is less then $100 bucks now. Anyway, I asked the guy in the gunsmithing area about bottom metal for a long action BDL type. He pulls out this silver/ grey bottom set up, that came off of a 40x, in 6.5-284. He put on a custom magazine, and the bottom metal was the take off. I asked him what did he want for it, he said $25.00. I said SOLD. It is mint, no scratches, GREAT price. This one is different from any type I have seen before. It is similar to a savages center feed magazine. The follower plate is flat, and the top edges rolled inward to trap the round from popping out. It is presently set for the diameter of the 6.5 -284, which is fatter then the stw. It works well when I put a 300 ultra mag case into it. I think I can use the follower plate and spring from the ADL set up that the donor gun has. Just put the spring into the floor plate, and leave the box attached to the receiver. I'll figure out something, but at least I have some pieces to work with.
I know of some guys that have paid WAY more than what I paid for the bottom metal. That's one more thing off the list, and closer to being done. I also ordered three sets of Parrish pillars from Brownells. Two sets are for the two 700 LSS's that I have, and the thirds for the stock that I have decided on. Initially I am going to use one of the HS stocks that I have from the sendero, but in the end, I am going to get a Bobby Hart stock from Stockys. I decided to get the " Tawny Brown" color. I will pillar bed and glass bed, ( JB Weld) the lug and two inches forward. This thing is going to be sweet. ( now that I have thought about how I want it to be). Sorry about the long read, just getting excited now. Take care all!!!!
You really lucked out on that bottom metal.

It sounds like it is going to be an awesome rifle!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

I'm really jealous of your gunsmithing savie. How did you learn to do this stuff? I'd like to start learning. At least the simple stuff.

Keep us posted about how you are doing it too, maybe some pics if you have them.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
7stw, Good call on the Bobby Hart stock.....Which model did you get? As for the bottom metal.....Dude you scored big,Cant wait to see it when its done
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

I'm with Ed, I would love to know what you have forgotten. Keep posting and educating us. If I could, I would hang out at my smith's shop and soak it in. I will definitely be sure to ask you questions in the future and can't wait to see your build when it is done and how it shoots
FE
Old 04-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

It shot just under an inch at 100yds. I have no plans on using Sierras any more, nor do I want to buy any more IMR7828 if I don't have to.

Dan, ive had good luck wit 7828. In my 700 with a 24" barrel it produced the best velocity and accuracy with the 162s.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Silver Member

I havent had the special turret cut yet because everytime i read this forum, i want to try something new! Ive just used it with the minute lines.