Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Ok, it's been over 4 days since anyone has said anything in here...

I'm breaking the spell.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Bronze Member

Clovis Man

Welcome to the club. You will like the STW, as it is a great round. It will cover just about any game that you want from deer and antilope to elk and moose. I would even taken it after a big bear, with the right load and it not being a close shot.

Nosler makes some good loads for this round for factory loads. This round also likes some of the heavier loads, so the 160 grs are good.

I am a Winchester nut. I have 3 Model 70's. A STW Laredo Sharpshooter, a stainless Featherweight and a factory laminated stocked Featherweight.

A good scope with 14x to 16x should work good for a hunting rig. I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16x and I really like it.

If you have any questions, please ask. We have a good group of knowledgeable people on this site.

Bill
Old 04-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
Hi, all. I'm new to the Magazine, and what a nice-looking magazine it is!

I've been lookijng for a Model 70 in .30-06, intending to make a Carlos Hathcock - style rifle, but yesterday, this particular Model 70 suckered me in. I bought a Clasic Sporter in STW, and it's in the back of the store waiting on the paperwork. Looks NEW! Even the checkering feels sharp.

I'm pretty excited, I haven't bought a firearm in over 30 years! Already had enough...

Now I have to buy a scope... looking at the one at Weaver Grand Slam Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 40mm Adjustable Objective

Now to sit back and start reading!
Welcome Neighbor! I grew up in Farwell and my family lived in the area for a hundred years before we started spreading out again.

You will I predict soon be in love with your STW.

On scopes the bottom end of what I recommend are the Vortex Viper PST series.

I own more Leupold VX3's than anything else.

I also have IOR Valdada Tactical and Leupold VX7's and a couple of Leupold Ultra's.

As a rule here's what I tell people.

Figure out your glass budget and then add thirty percent and get the very best quality glass you can afford.

For most hunting 10x magnification is enough to get the job done. If you have a choice between more magnification or better glass buy better glass.

Larger objectives (50mm or larger is what I recommend) give you better low light capability than the same quality glass with a smaller objective.

Don't be afraid to buy a quality used scope. The classified section here at LRH is a great place to shop. I've bought more scopes off of Ebay than any other source and have done fine there. If buying used, just be sure the maker will warranty it if any problems suddenly turn up.

Welcome to the family.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, y'all.

I just drove through Farwell, BTW!

This is the second Model 70 in my family. The first is a .270 W. C. F. -- at least that's what it was called in 1949. It was my dad's rifle and it's taken more deer than the law allows. Literally!

I went ahead and bought that Weaver Grand Slam scope. If it doesn't work out, I can replace it easily enough, and my mother's .270 Mauser needs a new scope anyway.

Still waiting on paperwork over at the LGS. Getting anxious.

I'm thinking I might just settle on 160-grain bullets for everything. It's too late to get on an elk hunt this year, so I have time to figure out how to load for this rifle. The brass sure seems to dwarf the 7mm Rem Mag, does that mean an incredible amount of recoil?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovis Man View Post
Thanks, y'all.

I just drove through Farwell, BTW!

This is the second Model 70 in my family. The first is a .270 W. C. F. -- at least that's what it was called in 1949. It was my dad's rifle and it's taken more deer than the law allows. Literally!

I went ahead and bought that Weaver Grand Slam scope. If it doesn't work out, I can replace it easily enough, and my mother's .270 Mauser needs a new scope anyway.

Still waiting on paperwork over at the LGS. Getting anxious.

I'm thinking I might just settle on 160-grain bullets for everything. It's too late to get on an elk hunt this year, so I have time to figure out how to load for this rifle. The brass sure seems to dwarf the 7mm Rem Mag, does that mean an incredible amount of recoil?
Recoil doesn't get hefty until you start loading 180+ grain bullets with heavy charges of slow burning powder. Which, doesn't bother me, as I bought my STW new 12 years ago, so I've had ALOT of trigger time with it, and out of all the guns in the safe, it is the one I'm the most comfortable with.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Bronze Member

4000 fps with 140's?

I prefer the 180's myself, but then I don't routinely make 1800 yard shots, so what do I know?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Bronze Member

The really scary part is that 5 of 12 people found the review helpful.