Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Chomping at the bit for my STW to be done. New barrel going on her - 28" (Light Palma contour which is a little heavier than a #5 bull sporter) Krieger 1:9 5R with a painkiller muzzle brake. Blueprinting bolt/action too. Oughta be a shooter. Hopefully done by next weekend. Saying good riddence to a finicky bitch of a factory Remington barrel.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Hello boys and girls! New to the site and first time poster. I am currently gathering parts and pieces for a 7STW build. I have been wanting one since it first was seen in Sooting Times. I was in to handgun silhouettes back then and all funds went to that. I have recently been bitten by the long range bug and it brought the 7STW back to mind. I have a Savage long action .223 that will be the donor rifle. I will build "on the cheap" at first. I'm planning for new barrel and bolt head and go shoot it. I don't like brakes so I plan a 28-30" bull barrel. (I've shot plenty of 7 mags in my day and can't imagine a 10lb+ rifle in 7STW needing one!) Scope will be a 20X Super Sniper on a 20MOA mount. This will not be a hunting rifle. Weight and barrel length doesn't matter. The action is bed already and I'll hog out the forearm to float the barrel. I'm looking for 1/2 MOA so I can shoot 1500 meters and have the accuracy to make hits if I do my part. All suggestions and comments are welcome!

P.S. I'm not a stranger to long range shooting as I regularly shoot my T3 in 338 Federal out to 700 yds. Our range has 12" steel plates and I hit them with boring regularity.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Gold Member

Back on the grid
Old 03-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Back on the grid
Welcome back Beans where ya been hiding out?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1klickstick View Post
Hello boys and girls! New to the site and first time poster. I am currently gathering parts and pieces for a 7STW build. I have been wanting one since it first was seen in Sooting Times. I was in to handgun silhouettes back then and all funds went to that. I have recently been bitten by the long range bug and it brought the 7STW back to mind. I have a Savage long action .223 that will be the donor rifle. I will build "on the cheap" at first. I'm planning for new barrel and bolt head and go shoot it. I don't like brakes so I plan a 28-30" bull barrel. (I've shot plenty of 7 mags in my day and can't imagine a 10lb+ rifle in 7STW needing one!) Scope will be a 20X Super Sniper on a 20MOA mount. This will not be a hunting rifle. Weight and barrel length doesn't matter. The action is bed already and I'll hog out the forearm to float the barrel. I'm looking for 1/2 MOA so I can shoot 1500 meters and have the accuracy to make hits if I do my part. All suggestions and comments are welcome!

P.S. I'm not a stranger to long range shooting as I regularly shoot my T3 in 338 Federal out to 700 yds. Our range has 12" steel plates and I hit them with boring regularity.
If you want to see your impacts you will want to put a muzzle brake on. I suggest the Snowy Mountain Rifles Model.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Welcome back Beans where ya been hiding out?
Moved back to Indiana
Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Moved back to Indiana
Man you picked a rough winter to make that move!