Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor View Post
We are very lucky here in SW GA as we have a very long Whitetail season and can harvest 12 ! Ive only taken 3 this season as Im taking care of my wife of 34 years, dam cancer! The worse **** on earth! Drs promise the moon and kill you twice as fast as the cancer with chemo rat poison! very best
That's tough man. Pray hard and try to keep positive for her, it's amazing what can be done in treating cancer these days.

As for the ammo, Federal Premium is generally pretty good quality, so give it a ride and see if your rifle likes it.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 PM

If you were going to build an STW off a custom remington 700 style action, which one would you choose? I'm doing a little pre-planning, but I see this coming to fruition in the next couple months. I haven't selected a smith yet so I don't have any guidance to go off from that end. It will have a custom 27" barrel and sit in a Manners Elite stock.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

I would just get a stainless 700 action and have it trued if I wanted a Remington based action. My choice though would be the model 70 or Montana Rifles M1999 action. If you want to get the most out of the 7mm STW though I'd encourage you to add at least one to three inches to the barrel length. No sense having that big ole case full of powder if you don't have enough barrel to burn it all particularly if you are going to go with the slowest burning powders which will help extend your barrel life.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I would just get a stainless 700 action and have it trued if I wanted a Remington based action. My choice though would be the model 70 or Montana Rifles M1999 action. If you want to get the most out of the 7mm STW though I'd encourage you to add at least one to three inches to the barrel length. No sense having that big ole case full of powder if you don't have enough barrel to burn it all particularly if you are going to go with the slowest burning powders which will help extend your barrel life.
Wildrose, thanks man I appreciate the insight - nice features on the M1999 action - wonder why they build them out of a casting rather than forging or billet? Hadn't really considered other styles just because I'm more familiar with the 700-style actions and it seems like they're most prevalent. I probably should broaden the scope a little and look into Winchester based actions.

I'm going 27" on the bbl because I live in steep ass country and anything much longer isn't real practical for covering 4-8 miles and several thousand vertical feet on a daily basis. I chose the STW because it's plenty fast enough for 1000 yard shooting so additional velocity isn't my first priority. Figured 27" was a good compromise in bbl length for the STW.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdawg View Post
Wildrose, thanks man I appreciate the insight - nice features on the M1999 action - wonder why they build them out of a casting rather than forging or billet? Hadn't really considered other styles just because I'm more familiar with the 700-style actions and it seems like they're most prevalent. I probably should broaden the scope a little and look into Winchester based actions.

I'm going 27" on the bbl because I live in steep ass country and anything much longer isn't real practical for covering 4-8 miles and several thousand vertical feet on a daily basis. I chose the STW because it's plenty fast enough for 1000 yard shooting so additional velocity isn't my first priority. Figured 27" was a good compromise in bbl length for the STW.
They are cast, but then CNC machined. Why? Everything you machine away is waste in terms of both metal and time. That would be my guess anyhow.

You can also pick up a nice used Stainless Model 70 magnum and have it trued and barreled.

I understand your reason for the barrel length but another inch won't hurt... .
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

I would have to agree with WildRose. If your going to go light for a carry rig I would start out at 28 and brake it. Foot, I already did and it's very pleasant to shoot. I suggest ear pro though. Lol

The proper use of a Pistol is to fight your way back to where you left your Rifle.

The best gun to have? ... The one in your hand when the fight starts!

Respect All - Fear None
Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

RoseBro!!!!
isn't the extra inch only worth 15-25 fps???

ALso, going to look into applying as the NM rules just came out… Valle for sure… Cant go in October as my wife has a week long course in Georgia so I am at home with kids that week. I'll let you know what info I can get from my sources there and get back to you…
Take care!!!
Mario