Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
Gimmie her number!!!!! I'll see if she wants to sell it!!!
Hell no Mario I like you too much, and she's as hard to get rid of as a case of herpes!

Besides it's just a nasty ole 7rm, not an STW. It was well worth the price of it to get rid of her but if it had been my STW.... .

Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 AM
Bronze Member

Hey guy's,
I've been following this thread for awhile to see what everyone is doing with the STW's, as far as loads go. I have a McWhorter STW, with a load developed by McWhorter. This load shoots very well, I've been shooting out to 1000. Will probably push it on out farther next time.
Anyway, I'm noticing that I'm running hotter than any I've seen here yet. I'm running 180 gr. VLD's at 3200 fps, 81 gr N570, 215's.
No pressure signs, and case life so far seems good. I'm on my 5th firing in Nosler brass, and they appear to be still in about as good a condition as new. No sign that these cases need discarding. Have not annealed.
What can I expect as far as barrel life with this load? I don't get to shoot often, as I've got about a 3 hr. one way drive just to shoot. I'm considering backing this load down a bit to extend barrel life, but with my hand load experience I'll probably have it shot out by the time I get to another load that I'm happy with.
What do you guy's think?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwin View Post
Hey guy's,
I've been following this thread for awhile to see what everyone is doing with the STW's, as far as loads go. I have a McWhorter STW, with a load developed by McWhorter. This load shoots very well, I've been shooting out to 1000. Will probably push it on out farther next time.
Anyway, I'm noticing that I'm running hotter than any I've seen here yet. I'm running 180 gr. VLD's at 3200 fps, 81 gr N570, 215's.
No pressure signs, and case life so far seems good. I'm on my 5th firing in Nosler brass, and they appear to be still in about as good a condition as new. No sign that these cases need discarding. Have not annealed.
What can I expect as far as barrel life with this load? I don't get to shoot often, as I've got about a 3 hr. one way drive just to shoot. I'm considering backing this load down a bit to extend barrel life, but with my hand load experience I'll probably have it shot out by the time I get to another load that I'm happy with.
What do you guy's think?
Running a load that hot especially if you shoot it hot (barrel hot) your going to be lucky to get 500rds through it before the throat goes.

I'd try backing off a full grain and see what that does for your accuracy.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Running a load that hot especially if you shoot it hot (barrel hot) your going to be lucky to get 500rds through it before the throat goes.

I'd try backing off a full grain and see what that does for your accuracy.
I may give that a try. I did end up contacting McWhorter and asking about that. They said their reamer is right to shoot this load, and safe, and shouldn't reduce throat life. I dont ever shoot it hot. 3 shot groups, and plenty of cooling time between rounds. Clean after every 10 - 15 rounds. He say's there is no reason shooting it like that to not get 1000 + out of it.

I certainly think it may be a good idea to at least see what backing off will do. I think I will take that advice, and see what the accuracy, and velocity is. I'll let you know the results. I would certainly give a little velocity for accuracy, and barrel life. Accuracy with this load is not an issue. It holds 1/2 MOA, and on a good day, I'll get 1/4, and less. It's a shooter thats for sure.

Thanks WildRose
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Any of you 7STW shooters have any luck with Fed 160 gr accubond ammo, I was able to buy the only three boxes in Tallahassee FL , 1box of Rem 140 core locs and 2 fed 160 accubonds, Im using the 140's to get scope dialed in( 6.5 x 20 side focus 30mm Leupold with varmint reticule), That gives me some brass to work with. I talked with the retired chief engineer on the BOSS program and he tod me how to tune it with out the starting point chart. I have had great luck with accubonds on our whitetails, .25 thru 30 cal, I find them almost as accurate as BT's. My only local shooting buddy that shoots a 7STW settled on 140 gr handloaded ammo. very best
Old 01-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor View Post
Any of you 7STW shooters have any luck with Fed 160 gr accubond ammo, I was able to buy the only three boxes in Tallahassee FL , 1box of Rem 140 core locs and 2 fed 160 accubonds, Im using the 140's to get scope dialed in( 6.5 x 20 side focus 30mm Leupold with varmint reticule), That gives me some brass to work with. I talked with the retired chief engineer on the BOSS program and he tod me how to tune it with out the starting point chart. I have had great luck with accubonds on our whitetails, .25 thru 30 cal, I find them almost as accurate as BT's. My only local shooting buddy that shoots a 7STW settled on 140 gr handloaded ammo. very best
I've not shot the federal but have shot a good deal of the Nosler Custom with the 160's and it shot very well in all both of my STW's. This season I filled all 4 of my remaining deer tags shooting them and did it all in less than 30 seconds with the closest shot being at about 570yds.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:01 AM

We are very lucky here in SW GA as we have a very long Whitetail season and can harvest 12 ! Ive only taken 3 this season as Im taking care of my wife of 34 years, dam cancer! The worse **** on earth! Drs promise the moon and kill you twice as fast as the cancer with chemo rat poison! very best