Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

WapitiBob,

You really should just be shooting 3 shot groups as stated by 7stw. Waaay too much barrel heat buildup and throat wear shooting 5 shot groups. Three shots will get you there. How often have you ever fired 5 shots at game? These are big cases of powder going down a small bore. I do a full cleaning after every 15 rounds on factory barrels just be sure copper doesn't build up. Just my 2c.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Std factory rem 700 barrel. I only shoot 3 shot groups and let cool 20 minutes between segments.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Std factory rem 700 barrel. I only shoot 3 shot groups and let cool 20 minutes between segments.
OK, now we are getting somewhere. If you had a varmint or Sendero contoured barrel, you can get away with three shots,almost back to back. However, what I have learned about " pencil" barrels, and magnum cartridges, and especially a "stretched out magnum" like the STW, I find that if I shoot two shot groups, let it cool, then shoot two more, at the same target, I get a better idea as to what the gun will group like. Let's face it, we are seldom going to get or need two shots back to back, let alone three. My son has a super accurate M70 in seven mag. It will ALWAYS put the first two in the SAME hole, the third will always be outside. Not too bad, but away from the first two.
When I got this Sako in December, I adopted the same way of testing it. Now what I do is, shoot two shots, let it cool, fire two more at same target. Sometimes I will shoot a total of six, at two shot intervals. Skinny barrels are accurate as some heavy barrels, but they can't handle the heat as well as the heavy ones do. I think if you put that thinking into your development, you are going to find your load quicker, waste less bullets and powder. Because, most of what I was seeing in those original targets seemed to be heat walking, or barrel shift. ( due to heat). Take care.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

I shoot one shot and let it cool. It takes time, but I've found it gives me much better groups. If I'm working up a load I want accurate feedback.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Bob,

A couple of questions;

Were these all shot the same day with temperature about the same?

Did you make any scope adjustments?

7stw has a point on thinner barrels. I like them on hunting/carrying rifles as they make the load lighter. I am more of a walk and stalk ambush hunter in my area. I have 1 gun with a thin barrel and virtually every time I remember shooting it at the range, the first shot followed by the second touches the first hole but on left, holes touched. 3rd shot 1/2 inch left of that and a little higher now out side the first 2 (not touching either of them). I figured it was me as I was rapid firing. But it probably was a combination of barrel heat up and rushing. Does that sound similiar to what you were doing?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Each target shot on different days. First target, colder than a witches @@@. I sighted in the gun freshly recieved from remington after they replaced everything but my plastic stock. They shot the gun 40 times before they sent it back so I wasn't too worried about break in. I never touched the scope on positions 2/3.

2nd target, new day. Still cold, 40ish. 3rd target was Sunday. Probably 75 degrees out. Some scope adj between positions as I was looking for groups rather than an impact relationship between loads.

I will try the 2 shot method.

7stw, I will try your suggestion, thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Well,

I finally got some range time today. I was able to do alot of shooting and load work. Unfortunately there was a bit of wind and gusts fom 10-15 MPH going left to right. It was sunny to partly cloudy and about 80 degrees.

I went specifically to shoot the 7 STW and I was shooting 180g Berger VLDs. I didn't chrony anything as I'm looking for a group.

I tried 3 diffrent powders, US869, Retumbo, and H1000. All shots were at 100yds and I allowed quite a bit of cooling between groups. I did shoot 5 shot groups so I could throw out the shots effected by gusts or my pulling the shot and still have 3-4 shots to establish a group. I was origionally going to shoot a 3 shot group if conditions were calm, the conditions weren't and I won't be getting another range day for a while, so I decided to shoot the 5 shot groups.

US869 wouldn't group under 2" so I'm eliminating it as a canidate right now. I was suprised with retumbo it actually shot better than H1000 in this rifle.

Here are the 3 best groups I could come up with in 10mph wind.....

78g Retumbo

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-img_20120423_201755.jpg

79g Retumbo

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-img_20120423_201813.jpg

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-img_20120423_201854.jpg

The bottom picture is 75g of H1000, this was 1 grain under book max, and the best load out of 4, H1000 loads. As a side note, all of the h1000 loads exhibited horizontal stringing. I'm thinking that this was due to the wind, but not sure, vertical was good on all of them as well. I'll probably revisit H1000 on a calmer day.

Retumbo looks good and I'm leaning to the 79g load. All loads were so they could eject live from the action if needed. They are off of the lands quite a bit, but no where close to magazine length. I will probably play with the seating depth as well.

Dan