Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Sorry, you are out of luck with the stw on the t-3 action. The mags won't take the 7stw as it is too long. The highest performing 7mm's you can put in a t3 are either the 7 roy or the 7-300win. There may be other issues but the mag is a pretty big one. I've got a Tikka t-3 ss lh in 270; great rifle but it suffers from the same issues with action length as the ruger 77.
man this saddens me so much I love the Tikkas so much haha
Old 11-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Looks like a shooter Gamehawker.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

Smile STW put to use.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...1&d=1385130655
Shot this buck at 25yds. I can shoot from hill top to hill top and I get a 25yd shot. I'll take it.
Brush
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-002.jpg   7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-001.jpg  

Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 PM

I recently purchased a Winchester M70 Laredo in 7 STW, the rifle is factory stock and in new condition, it came with a Leupold Vari XIII 6.5-20 AO Scope with a fine duplex reticle mounted in Weaver R&B and 140 mixed once fired brass. I am thrilled to have purchased this rifle and can't wait to start handloading for her, I took the first step by buying a set of Forester dies and some Nosler Accubond LR in 150 & 168gr. Next thing I got was a EGW one piece picatiny rail, next is a set of rings, still trying to make up my mind about those, I don't want anything too bulky.
Cheers
bb
Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbull View Post
I recently purchased a Winchester M70 Laredo in 7 STW, the rifle is factory stock and in new condition, it came with a Leupold Vari XIII 6.5-20 AO Scope with a fine duplex reticle mounted in Weaver R&B and 140 mixed once fired brass. I am thrilled to have purchased this rifle and can't wait to start handloading for her, I took the first step by buying a set of Forester dies and some Nosler Accubond LR in 150 & 168gr. Next thing I got was a EGW one piece picatiny rail, next is a set of rings, still trying to make up my mind about those, I don't want anything too bulky.
Cheers
bb
Sounds like you'll have a good rifle when you get her set up! I'm more of a burris/weaver/leopold guy for rings but it seems everyone has their favorites. Do you have a line on brass? That seems to be the hardest thing for a lot of the stw guys lately; most that don't have a stash are reforming other la belted brass to stw.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Sorry, you are out of luck with the stw on the t-3 action. The mags won't take the 7stw as it is too long. The highest performing 7mm's you can put in a t3 are either the 7 roy or the 7-300win. There may be other issues but the mag is a pretty big one. I've got a Tikka t-3 ss lh in 270; great rifle but it suffers from the same issues with action length as the ruger 77.
Yep, I was going to point this out but you beat me to it. I looked at the Tikkas to, because I really like them, they fit me out of the box better than about any other factory rifle I have tried except a Sako, and they come in left handed and stainless, a hard combo to find. Plus they have a clip (I know, I know, it isn't actually a clip, I know the difference, but grew up calling them clips and probably will until the day I die) which is a huge plus to me. But the STW won't fit in the magazine. So I bought a Browning A-bolt in 375 H&H, which comes in left-handed stainless with a clip, which isn't as handy since it is attached to the inside of a hinged floorplate, but on the plus side it alleviates some peoples concerns about possibly losing it. Mine had only ever had nine rounds through it and it seemed a real shame to strip it down, but I wanted the STW, so I had the action trued and bedded and a Hart barrel put on it. The Browning action is a sweet smooth action (much smoother than a factory Rem 700) with only a 60 degree bolt throw. While I haven't shot it at a thousand, at 800 it is a tack driver, I shot an elk at 820 this year and put two bullets through the part in the hair on the brisket, right where I was aiming and you could cover both bullet holes with a quarter.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2 View Post
Yep, I was going to point this out but you beat me to it. I looked at the Tikkas to, because I really like them, they fit me out of the box better than about any other factory rifle I have tried except a Sako, and they come in left handed and stainless, a hard combo to find. Plus they have a clip (I know, I know, it isn't actually a clip, I know the difference, but grew up calling them clips and probably will until the day I die) which is a huge plus to me. But the STW won't fit in the magazine. So I bought a Browning A-bolt in 375 H&H, which comes in left-handed stainless with a clip, which isn't as handy since it is attached to the inside of a hinged floorplate, but on the plus side it alleviates some peoples concerns about possibly losing it. Mine had only ever had nine rounds through it and it seemed a real shame to strip it down, but I wanted the STW, so I had the action trued and bedded and a Hart barrel put on it. The Browning action is a sweet smooth action (much smoother than a factory Rem 700) with only a 60 degree bolt throw. While I haven't shot it at a thousand, at 800 it is a tack driver, I shot an elk at 820 this year and put two bullets through the part in the hair on the brisket, right where I was aiming and you could cover both bullet holes with a quarter.
I nearly bought one of those lh browning 375's a number of years back. Someone else got it though. I do have a lh browning in 300win that is simply the plague to deer within 400 yards, but I'm only tossing a 165 in her so pass 500 yards very much and she falls off fast.
I just picked up a lss lh in 7rum yesterday; we'll see how this one shoots. If it's as good as my rh bdl was, I'll shoot her out and then make a decision on what cal she'll be. The 7rum ought to be a good inclement weather complement to my stw.