Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hello Guys,

I'm new to the site and have been looking around for awhile now for an amazing shooting round and I'm leaning towards the 7stw. My question for you guys is am I better off trying to find one factory produced since I sell firearms as my job or will it be easier to have a custom firearm built. Or another option would be buying a rifle in 7mag and rechamber it. I was wondering how you guys felt about these options and what may be the best route for me thanks!

I love some of the setups you guys have I've been looking through the previous pages.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Bronze Member

Forgot to post my setup:

Rem 700 trued & glass bedded
26"shilen bbl heavy spotted
Vias break
H-S Precision stock
Rem 40x trigger
Dnz one piece base/rings
Bushnell elite 4200 6-24 mildot scope

I have a hamdload but now I just shoot factory nosler 160 ab in it. Shoots well out to 1k wheeeni stopped shooting it. At 0'DA I think its about 21 moa to 1k yds.

Gun is so powerful flat and light but has no kick to it. Its no problem for me or girlfriend to shoot. Bias does well.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS1044 View Post
Hello Guys,

I'm new to the site and have been looking around for awhile now for an amazing shooting round and I'm leaning towards the 7stw. My question for you guys is am I better off trying to find one factory produced since I sell firearms as my job or will it be easier to have a custom firearm built. Or another option would be buying a rifle in 7mag and rechamber it. I was wondering how you guys felt about these options and what may be the best route for me thanks!

I love some of the setups you guys have I've been looking through the previous pages.
It all depends on how much you wish to invest.
I found a used Sendero that was in good shape to get me started.I can improve on that over time as I need without the big cost of a custom up front.
I would think how you intend to use it would be a factor.
Whatever you do it is a great caliber to own.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hello Guys,

Check out RedHawk Rifles for an affordable semi-custom. Mine really shoots and I've not heard anyone say theirs shot over 1/2 MOA.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

I own some Tikka T3 rifles and they are the best shooting smoothest actions for a factory gun imo and thats one reason I was considering buying one in 7mag and having it recharmbered so I can still have the action and the accuracy of a Tikka
Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Gold Member

Well think I've got a load figured out this deer season for one of my twin Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STWs.

One of the twin Senderos really likes 140 grain bullets and I used it last year with a 140 grain Nosler Accubond and shot a deer in the neck at 230 yards DRT.

I wanted the other twin Sendero to eat this year and it likes 160 grain plus bullets.

So I was working a load up for that one.

Well I was up in West Virginia at my Parent's home this weekend and my Pop has a shooting lane to 300 yards and further.

Below is a 300 yard shot 3 shot group with a 168 grain VLD Matrix bullet / H1000 powder.

The grouping measures .729

The velocity averaged 3,192 fps.

I told my Pop I want to shoot a deer right below the ear at a 280 yard set-up by his treestand this year. And with this load I think I can do it!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-300-yard-3-shot-group-7mm-stw-168-vld-matrix3.jpg  

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 11-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I own some Tikka T3 rifles and they are the best shooting smoothest actions for a factory gun imo and thats one reason I was considering buying one in 7mag and having it recharmbered so I can still have the action and the accuracy of a Tikka
Sorry, you are out of luck with the stw on the t-3 action. The mags won't take the 7stw as it is too long. The highest performing 7mm's you can put in a t3 are either the 7 roy or the 7-300win. There may be other issues but the mag is a pretty big one. I've got a Tikka t-3 ss lh in 270; great rifle but it suffers from the same issues with action length as the ruger 77.