Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3886  
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 22
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks for the advice fellas - I think I will have him load another dozen or so at 75 grains and do some longer range testing on a good calm morning at 250 - 300 yards to see if that load will consistently shoot sub MOA.

I have not bedded the action or done anything besides gently break in the barrel and shoot and clean thus far. The barrel is floated.

It's no prairie dog gun - I wanted to build a 1/2 MOA STW for a long range wolf gun. http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps29df37ab.jpg

That is also why I selected the 168 accubond LR's to try out. The rifle does not seem to like Bergers and based on what I've read I think the accubond is probably a better big game bullet in the STW. I almost always bowhunt so not really planning to shoot anything but predators, but ya never know.

The sporter barrel on mine will only shoot two shots before the heat gets to it so I always space my shots out and I have used canned air to help cool the barrel in between shots. Like I said - I never really planned on keeping the barrel, but it turned out to be a pretty good shooter and it's light!
Reply With Quote
  #3887  
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Haven't been on here in a long time, but I'm pretty sure I've never posted to this thread (I didn't look through all 500+ pages). I have a custom lefthanded stainless/synthetic Browning A-Bolt, 26" Hart barrel plus removable muzzle brake. Bought the rifle as 375 H&H with nine rounds fired through it, almost hated to revamp it, but I bought it specifically for the action to build an STW on, so I had the action trued, the new barrel and everything bedded in the factory stock because it fit me so well. I don't recall the barrel profile offhand, but it is the same profile as the factory H&H barrel, which with that long barrel makes it a tad muzzle heavy, but not bad. I have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 Vari-X III on it that I sent back to Leupold and had the MK II turrets installed on. That is the one thing I am unhappy with on the rifle, if I had it to do over with again I would spend the extra money and put a Leupold Mark IV on it, probably in 4.5x14. Not at all impressed with the Vari-x III, I have a twenty year old Vari-x compact that has FAR superior glass than the Vari-x III and was supposedly a much cheaper line of scope. Also the eye relief on Vari-x III is pretty touchy (probably partially due to the high magnification and large variable range). I have the trigger set at just a hair over 2 pounds, so there isn't much problem with pulling off target on those long shots. I shoot 180 gr. Berger VLDs in front of a load of RE-25. 7828 and Ramshot magnum gave a little more velocity, but RE-25 held the edge on accuracy, and 3100 fps is probably fast enough with a 180 pill. Shooting those long Berger's you have to reach out there to really judge the accuracy, at a hundred yards it won't even group minute of angle, but at 200 it is well under MOA and at 300 it routinely throws groups around half-MOA (actually as tight as the 100 yard groups, if the targets aren't labeled you can't tell the difference between the 100, 200, and 300 yard targets). I originally built it for mule deer, but have actually shot more elk than deer with it. I head shot (only part of the deer I could see) a 160 whitetail at 350 yards with it last year, out my upstairs window. And have shot 5 elk at over 500 with it. Last week I made my longest shot yet on an elk, 820 yards. I don't have a place to shoot over 700 handy, so hadn't really tested it at that range, but dialed it in and put two shots through the part in the hair on the brisket, right where I was aiming and less than an inch apart, so it's still holding good out that far. I felt much steadier laying on the rock pinnacle I was on resting over my pack than I do off my portable bench that I shoot my test groups off of, so it is possible the gun will shoot better than I stated if I was to use a better bench.
Reply With Quote
  #3888  
Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 143
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdawg View Post
Brotherhood! Hey guys, I feel like I know you all from reading 460 pages now of the STW thread! This is my second post - my first was in the STW reloading thread (no reply so pretty much re-posting here).

I've got a decent Rem 700 STW (one of the newer SPS's) with a bell and Carlson stock on it from Redhawk. It shoots Nosler Custom 160 gr. Accubonds really-really good, but I have a buddy that reloads and we're in process of working up some loads for the 168 grain Accubond LR's. This rifle was supposed to be a project that I planned to re-barrel, but apparently I got lucky.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps32e65a98.jpg

This is my first time working up a load for any rifle so any suggestions in developing loads and laddering up would be appreciated. The starting point, powder, primer, etc... all came from knowledge gathered here.

For the first go round he loaded me up a 15 shells in groups of 3 at various charges of H1000 with Fed 215 primers in Nosler Brass from 74 grains up to 78 all at what I think was the same length as the stock Nosler Custom 160AB's that shot very well (I think he noted it as 3.651").

I got a good tight group 0.466" center to center at 75 grains and things were coming together again at 78 grains with a decent group a little over 1" but very little vertical spread (maybe 3/8"). It was windy L-R 10 - 15mph. I had no pressure signs at 78. Where do y'all expect the top end charge to be on this bullet with H1000? We'll work up gradually but don't want to miss a good load by stopping too soon and also don't want to load up a bunch of stuff that's too hot and will have to be pulled.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6bc24e19.jpg

My chrono is down, but will be back in business for my next session so I can report back with velocity info next time.

Not sure if we should now go back to 75 & 78 grains and vary powder in 0.1 or 0.2 grain increments or if I should vary seating depth with the best load we had - then vary powder after seating depth.

Or... should I just load up about 9 of those 75 grain loads and see if it will consistently shoot like that? I can't imagine a factory STW can really shoot much better than 1/2 MOA, I do trust this rifle though - I have shot several sub 1/2 MOA groups with this thing at extended ranges from 250 - 780 yards with the nosler customs and have shot it out beyond 1000 yards with deadly accuracy. I painstakingly broke in the barrel and it seems to have paid off.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great info. Like I said - I have read the thread thru 460 pages now and just finished reading the 32 pages of the reloading thread. I will burn through the last 90 pages so I'll be current ASAP. Looking forward to being part of the crew here!

Coop
Haven't posted here in quite a while but I keep up with the thread. Have been too busy to shoot the past several months. Anyway, I just want to give the boys at RedHawk another plug. I have yet to hear of anyone who has one of their rifles that doesn't shoot 1/2 MOA or better. Mine is a semi custom with a Douglas barrel, B&C stock, factory Rem trigger and it shoots under 1/2 MOA with everything I've put down the tube so far, some loads WELL under that. On top of that is that it is very light weight.
Reply With Quote
  #3889  
Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdawg View Post
Thanks for the advice fellas - I think I will have him load another dozen or so at 75 grains and do some longer range testing on a good calm morning at 250 - 300 yards to see if that load will consistently shoot sub MOA.

I have not bedded the action or done anything besides gently break in the barrel and shoot and clean thus far. The barrel is floated.

It's no prairie dog gun - I wanted to build a 1/2 MOA STW for a long range wolf gun. http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps29df37ab.jpg

That is also why I selected the 168 accubond LR's to try out. The rifle does not seem to like Bergers and based on what I've read I think the accubond is probably a better big game bullet in the STW. I almost always bowhunt so not really planning to shoot anything but predators, but ya never know.

The sporter barrel on mine will only shoot two shots before the heat gets to it so I always space my shots out and I have used canned air to help cool the barrel in between shots. Like I said - I never really planned on keeping the barrel, but it turned out to be a pretty good shooter and it's light!
The 180 Bergers are so long they won't stabilize and shoot well in a lot of factory barrels due to the twist. I forget what the twist is now in my barrel, but I specifically ordered a barrel with the optimum twist for those bullets, and it will shoot other long heavy bullets well also, but I have never tried any light bullets in it. I have a bunch (gallon ziplok baggy full) of 115 gr. hollowpoints a friend gave me that I have been intending to load up for plinking and screwing around doing things like shooting ground squirrels, but I haven't loaded any yet to see how they shoot. The Bergers don't particularly impress me on game, they have killed everything I shot with them fine, but I have never knocked down even a deer, much less an elk with them unless I shot it in the spine or head. I use them for their fabulous long range ballistics, performance in wind and accuracy, if I was looking for the best DRT performance I would probably use something like a Grand Slam (which are also very accurate, my 270 shoots groups with them half again as tight as any other bullet you feed it)
Reply With Quote
  #3890  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,566
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2 View Post
Haven't been on here in a long time, but I'm pretty sure I've never posted to this thread (I didn't look through all 500+ pages). I have a custom lefthanded stainless/synthetic Browning A-Bolt, 26" Hart barrel plus removable muzzle brake. Bought the rifle as 375 H&H with nine rounds fired through it, almost hated to revamp it, but I bought it specifically for the action to build an STW on, so I had the action trued, the new barrel and everything bedded in the factory stock because it fit me so well. I don't recall the barrel profile offhand, but it is the same profile as the factory H&H barrel, which with that long barrel makes it a tad muzzle heavy, but not bad. I have a Leupold 6.5-20x40 Vari-X III on it that I sent back to Leupold and had the MK II turrets installed on. That is the one thing I am unhappy with on the rifle, if I had it to do over with again I would spend the extra money and put a Leupold Mark IV on it, probably in 4.5x14. Not at all impressed with the Vari-x III, I have a twenty year old Vari-x compact that has FAR superior glass than the Vari-x III and was supposedly a much cheaper line of scope. Also the eye relief on Vari-x III is pretty touchy (probably partially due to the high magnification and large variable range). I have the trigger set at just a hair over 2 pounds, so there isn't much problem with pulling off target on those long shots. I shoot 180 gr. Berger VLDs in front of a load of RE-25. 7828 and Ramshot magnum gave a little more velocity, but RE-25 held the edge on accuracy, and 3100 fps is probably fast enough with a 180 pill. Shooting those long Berger's you have to reach out there to really judge the accuracy, at a hundred yards it won't even group minute of angle, but at 200 it is well under MOA and at 300 it routinely throws groups around half-MOA (actually as tight as the 100 yard groups, if the targets aren't labeled you can't tell the difference between the 100, 200, and 300 yard targets). I originally built it for mule deer, but have actually shot more elk than deer with it. I head shot (only part of the deer I could see) a 160 whitetail at 350 yards with it last year, out my upstairs window. And have shot 5 elk at over 500 with it. Last week I made my longest shot yet on an elk, 820 yards. I don't have a place to shoot over 700 handy, so hadn't really tested it at that range, but dialed it in and put two shots through the part in the hair on the brisket, right where I was aiming and less than an inch apart, so it's still holding good out that far. I felt much steadier laying on the rock pinnacle I was on resting over my pack than I do off my portable bench that I shoot my test groups off of, so it is possible the gun will shoot better than I stated if I was to use a better bench.
I would free float and pillar bed it before wasting any more time on working up a load. The odds of it shooting any better than it is already without doing the above are very slim and it could get frustrating for you in a hurry.

Do that and I think you'll end up very pleased very quickly.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #3891  
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington NC
Posts: 550
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I would free float and pillar bed it before wasting any more time on working up a load. The odds of it shooting any better than it is already without doing the above are very slim and it could get frustrating for you in a hurry.

Do that and I think you'll end up very pleased very quickly.
Plus 1
__________________
ButterBean
Remember.....Dont argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Reply With Quote
  #3892  
Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 34
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
I would free float and pillar bed it before wasting any more time on working up a load. The odds of it shooting any better than it is already without doing the above are very slim and it could get frustrating for you in a hurry.

Do that and I think you'll end up very pleased very quickly.

Assuming you quoted me by mistake and are actually replying to someone else. My rifle is free floated and bedded, and I have already worked up a load I like. (Which doesn't mean I may not try and work up more when I have time to tinker with it)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wy. antelope shooting times??? jorvin Antelope Hunting 5 04-20-2013 08:05 AM
nightforce nxs times 2 tjonh2001 Optics For Sale 0 02-09-2010 11:14 PM
.358 Shooting Times Alaskan COBrad Guns For Sale 3 10-20-2009 11:07 PM
first 2 times out Kohly Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 0 01-04-2009 03:34 PM
Some times the shooting gods smile ss7mm General Discussion 12 06-20-2005 03:32 AM

Current Poll
How Many Different Cartridges Do You Reload For?
ZERO, all factory ammo - 8.02%
352 Votes
1 - 2.78%
122 Votes
2 or 3 - 14.55%
639 Votes
4 or 5 - 20.38%
895 Votes
6 or 7 - 14.83%
651 Votes
8 or 9 - 8.65%
380 Votes
10 or more - 30.79%
1,352 Vote
Total Votes: 4,391
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC