Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

any where from dime sized to one hole at 100 yards 3 to 5 shots most of time 3 shots . I load 3 rounds and do about 5 different test rounds then I do 5 rounds out of the the 2 best 3 rounds group and fps that normaly works for me I do load for lot of different guns I goof around with . this is one of my shooters I don't jump around on group size to much and I got another custom 22-250 that the fps within 10 fps but it shots any thing I throw at it better then a 1/2 at 100 yards but the load I use in it pretty much 1 hole if I do my part . then got a stock 788 222 that the fps within 2 to 10 fps but about 1/2 groups at 100 yards but funny thing is I shot the same load I use in the 222 in another 222 I have and got 1 fps differents (5 shots ) and I didn't weight cases or any thing in it or the 788 and they still have good fps spread and on new brass . I did anneal the brass on the stw
Old 10-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadog View Post
any where from dime sized to one hole at 100 yards 3 to 5 shots most of time 3 shots . I load 3 rounds and do about 5 different test rounds then I do 5 rounds out of the the 2 best 3 rounds group and fps that normaly works for me I do load for lot of different guns I goof around with . this is one of my shooters I don't jump around on group size to much and I got another custom 22-250 that the fps within 10 fps but it shots any thing I throw at it better then a 1/2 at 100 yards but the load I use in it pretty much 1 hole if I do my part . then got a stock 788 222 that the fps within 2 to 10 fps but about 1/2 groups at 100 yards but funny thing is I shot the same load I use in the 222 in another 222 I have and got 1 fps differents (5 shots ) and I didn't weight cases or any thing in it or the 788 and they still have good fps spread and on new brass . I did anneal the brass on the stw
Bud I have said this on here a bunch of times and this is My opinion .....If its grouping ( which yours is) the only number I look at is the FPS to figure Ballistics .....the ES is just a number and as I said if its shooting like House on Fire I could care less what it is......Like I said I dont even look at it
Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 PM

Brotherhood! Hey guys, I feel like I know you all from reading 460 pages now of the STW thread! This is my second post - my first was in the STW reloading thread (no reply so pretty much re-posting here).

I've got a decent Rem 700 STW (one of the newer SPS's) with a bell and Carlson stock on it from Redhawk. It shoots Nosler Custom 160 gr. Accubonds really-really good, but I have a buddy that reloads and we're in process of working up some loads for the 168 grain Accubond LR's. This rifle was supposed to be a project that I planned to re-barrel, but apparently I got lucky.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps32e65a98.jpg

This is my first time working up a load for any rifle so any suggestions in developing loads and laddering up would be appreciated. The starting point, powder, primer, etc... all came from knowledge gathered here.

For the first go round he loaded me up a 15 shells in groups of 3 at various charges of H1000 with Fed 215 primers in Nosler Brass from 74 grains up to 78 all at what I think was the same length as the stock Nosler Custom 160AB's that shot very well (I think he noted it as 3.651").

I got a good tight group 0.466" center to center at 75 grains and things were coming together again at 78 grains with a decent group a little over 1" but very little vertical spread (maybe 3/8"). It was windy L-R 10 - 15mph. I had no pressure signs at 78. Where do y'all expect the top end charge to be on this bullet with H1000? We'll work up gradually but don't want to miss a good load by stopping too soon and also don't want to load up a bunch of stuff that's too hot and will have to be pulled.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6bc24e19.jpg

My chrono is down, but will be back in business for my next session so I can report back with velocity info next time.

Not sure if we should now go back to 75 & 78 grains and vary powder in 0.1 or 0.2 grain increments or if I should vary seating depth with the best load we had - then vary powder after seating depth.

Or... should I just load up about 9 of those 75 grain loads and see if it will consistently shoot like that? I can't imagine a factory STW can really shoot much better than 1/2 MOA, I do trust this rifle though - I have shot several sub 1/2 MOA groups with this thing at extended ranges from 250 - 780 yards with the nosler customs and have shot it out beyond 1000 yards with deadly accuracy. I painstakingly broke in the barrel and it seems to have paid off.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great info. Like I said - I have read the thread thru 460 pages now and just finished reading the 32 pages of the reloading thread. I will burn through the last 90 pages so I'll be current ASAP. Looking forward to being part of the crew here!

Coop
Old 10-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

To Coopdawg, if you are tossing sub 1/2 moa groups with your pet load I'd toss a box together at a charge that seems to shoot well and see if she holds for a few groups in a row at 200 yards or more. Prove that puppy and go kill with it. The stw seems to like a bit of run to the lands so if she shoots call it and don't play with seating depth.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
To Coopdawg, if you are tossing sub 1/2 moa groups with your pet load I'd toss a box together at a charge that seems to shoot well and see if she holds for a few groups in a row at 200 yards or more. Prove that puppy and go kill with it. The stw seems to like a bit of run to the lands so if she shoots call it and don't play with seating depth.
I'll second that
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Like Lefty said, I'd go with the .466" load and prove them at longer distances. If they shoot good at 200, I'd roll with those. It's rare you get a cheaper sporter SPS to shoot 1/2 MOA, especially in a big magnum caliber from all the harmonics in the barrel.

I think you've about found that rifle's sweet spot.

My buddy has the same rifle as you, but in a .300 WinMag, and he got a good one, too, because with handloads we got his shooting 1/2 MOA groups with several loads. He was wanting to rebarrel his to a heavy barrel, but after tinkering with handloads and getting it to shoot 1/2 MOA, he's gonna keep it for a lightweight whitetail rig.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdawg View Post
Brotherhood! Hey guys, I feel like I know you all from reading 460 pages now of the STW thread! This is my second post - my first was in the STW reloading thread (no reply so pretty much re-posting here).

I've got a decent Rem 700 STW (one of the newer SPS's) with a bell and Carlson stock on it from Redhawk. It shoots Nosler Custom 160 gr. Accubonds really-really good, but I have a buddy that reloads and we're in process of working up some loads for the 168 grain Accubond LR's. This rifle was supposed to be a project that I planned to re-barrel, but apparently I got lucky.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps32e65a98.jpg

This is my first time working up a load for any rifle so any suggestions in developing loads and laddering up would be appreciated. The starting point, powder, primer, etc... all came from knowledge gathered here.

For the first go round he loaded me up a 15 shells in groups of 3 at various charges of H1000 with Fed 215 primers in Nosler Brass from 74 grains up to 78 all at what I think was the same length as the stock Nosler Custom 160AB's that shot very well (I think he noted it as 3.651").

I got a good tight group 0.466" center to center at 75 grains and things were coming together again at 78 grains with a decent group a little over 1" but very little vertical spread (maybe 3/8"). It was windy L-R 10 - 15mph. I had no pressure signs at 78. Where do y'all expect the top end charge to be on this bullet with H1000? We'll work up gradually but don't want to miss a good load by stopping too soon and also don't want to load up a bunch of stuff that's too hot and will have to be pulled.

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6bc24e19.jpg

My chrono is down, but will be back in business for my next session so I can report back with velocity info next time.

Not sure if we should now go back to 75 & 78 grains and vary powder in 0.1 or 0.2 grain increments or if I should vary seating depth with the best load we had - then vary powder after seating depth.

Or... should I just load up about 9 of those 75 grain loads and see if it will consistently shoot like that? I can't imagine a factory STW can really shoot much better than 1/2 MOA, I do trust this rifle though - I have shot several sub 1/2 MOA groups with this thing at extended ranges from 250 - 780 yards with the nosler customs and have shot it out beyond 1000 yards with deadly accuracy. I painstakingly broke in the barrel and it seems to have paid off.

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great info. Like I said - I have read the thread thru 460 pages now and just finished reading the 32 pages of the reloading thread. I will burn through the last 90 pages so I'll be current ASAP. Looking forward to being part of the crew here!

Coop
If it were me I'd load up nine of those at each weight and go out on as calm a day as possible and set up a 300yds target.

Let the rifle cool down completely between each three round group.

take the average from each weight/charge and see which gives you the best accuracy.

You can tweak up and down with whichever gives you the best results until you find that sweet spot between accuracy and speed.

Once you've done that as long as you are seeing zero pressure signs, you can adjust your seating depth outward a couple of thousandths at a time and see if that tightens it up even further.

Unless you plan on shooting prairie dogs beyond six hundred yards anything under 1 MOA is acceptable especially in an SPS.

Question, have you done a complete float and bedding job? Does it have an aluminum bedding block or factory pillars installed?

If you haven't done the floating and bedding I would not mess with anything else until that is done because your results over the long term are likely to be very inconsistent particularly with changes in temperature and humidity.