Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
BROS,

I have not forgotten about yall..... I nailed a 333 2/8 bull in New Mexico at the Valle Calderas.... Pics to come soon... along with the story...
I got home and got slammed at work with dead lines so no time to upload pics and type the pic... And, I must apologize ahead of time, it was killed with the 338 Lapua... but she was first and never was able to eat so I had to feed her... My 2 STWs are coming with me to MT on Nov 15th for deer and elk combo tag near LIMA mt...

Until the story,

Mario
Congrats Bro ....You Da Man
Old 10-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
BROS,

I have not forgotten about yall..... I nailed a 333 2/8 bull in New Mexico at the Valle Calderas.... Pics to come soon... along with the story...
I got home and got slammed at work with dead lines so no time to upload pics and type the pic... And, I must apologize ahead of time, it was killed with the 338 Lapua... but she was first and never was able to eat so I had to feed her... My 2 STWs are coming with me to MT on Nov 15th for deer and elk combo tag near LIMA mt...

Until the story,

Mario
You done real well there Grasshopper!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 AM
Bronze Member

got a primer ? do any of you use cci large rifle br primers with H1000 . I having problems getting extreme spread down in single didgets or in teens consent . I tried all the mag primers except for wolf primers . I mainly use fed 215m in this on I weights sort brass . it is neck turn brass . nosler brass and some win brass . I don't see any differents between brass in fps any opions would be nice thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadog View Post
got a primer ? do any of you use cci large rifle br primers with H1000 . I having problems getting extreme spread down in single didgets or in teens consent . I tried all the mag primers except for wolf primers . I mainly use fed 215m in this on I weights sort brass . it is neck turn brass . nosler brass and some win brass . I don't see any differents between brass in fps any opions would be nice thanks
The 215 is pretty much the go to primer for most of us.

Separate your brass by brand. Believe it or not even slight differences in wall and neck thickness can make a significant difference in ES.

If you can get your ES down under 50fps consistently till you get past 1000yds the difference in POI is going to be negligible. It is nice to have it well under that down in single digits but it is rare to get a big magnum that consistent.

How are you measuring your powder? Are you weighing each load or using an auto charger like the RCBS powder measure? If you are weighing each load, what method/brand of scale are you using?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

I use an RCBS Chargemaster 1500, but I still weigh each load down to exacting tolerances. I don't even let it vary by +/- 0.1 gr...It has to be zero'd out, or else it get's adjusted one way or the other.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Bronze Member

I weight them with charge master every one . and I don't mix brand of brass . all brass is turned to .012 . mabe I need a better scale . I don't have any loads over 50 fps but having hard time getting out of 20fps to 36 fps .
Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadog View Post
I weight them with charge master every one . and I don't mix brand of brass . all brass is turned to .012 . mabe I need a better scale . I don't have any loads over 50 fps but having hard time getting out of 20fps to 36 fps .
What kind of groups are you getting?