Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBO76 View Post
Gday Gents, I purchased a new Rem700 375h&h last year, pulled the barrel straight away then started to piece things together. It has a 28"maddco #8 profile barrel matched to the trued and lapped action and purchased a pacific tooling finish reamer for future barrel changes when the need be. Fitted it to a mcmillan bakers special sitting in epoxy with a jewel trigger and topped with a nightforce nxs 3.5-15x56 scope. With the 168 vld's and rl25 it is one hell of a fringe country sniping rifle for the deer. Nosler custom brass after four loads of various extremes is holding up very well. Also have a custom muzzle brake by my local gunsmith fitted making it as pleasant to shoot as a .222rem. Good reading through the other articles fellas.
Sounds like a nice rig
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Jim Oliver,

I have high expectations for everything I buy. It's the value thing that's good. We all want the most from our money spent. With the exception of Lapua and Norma, it's hard to get real value in most other case makers. I'm now experimenting using 8mm rem mag brass that feels heavier and considering even annealing my brass before first firing or before first reloading. Looking for the magic bullet of longer lasting brass so to speak. I will recommend to write a brass manufacturer an email and put your name and telephone number on it may help. Somebody will read it there eventually. Send the same one to Norma and Lapua with your experience and hope they start making some for us. I believe that once they too get enough emails they will start making brass for us! I hope... I do believe the grass roots effort we make will speed up the process. More competition usually makes prices come down too.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Hey Jim Oliver,

I have high expectations for everything I buy. It's the value thing that's good. We all want the most from our money spent. With the exception of Lapua and Norma, it's hard to get real value in most other case makers. I'm now experimenting using 8mm rem mag brass that feels heavier and considering even annealing my brass before first firing or before first reloading. Looking for the magic bullet of longer lasting brass so to speak. I will recommend to write a brass manufacturer an email and put your name and telephone number on it may help. Somebody will read it there eventually. Send the same one to Norma and Lapua with your experience and hope they start making some for us. I believe that once they too get enough emails they will start making brass for us! I hope... I do believe the grass roots effort we make will speed up the process. More competition usually makes prices come down too.
Good words said there Brother. How cool would it be to be able to get Norma or Lapua brass? Man, wouldnt that be awesome. I would buy a train load of Norma brass if they made it. That stuff is awesome in my 7 mags. ( I just discarded 60 pieces of STW brass ).
Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBO76 View Post
Gday Gents, I purchased a new Rem700 375h&h last year, pulled the barrel straight away then started to piece things together. It has a 28"maddco #8 profile barrel matched to the trued and lapped action and purchased a pacific tooling finish reamer for future barrel changes when the need be. Fitted it to a mcmillan bakers special sitting in epoxy with a jewel trigger and topped with a nightforce nxs 3.5-15x56 scope. With the 168 vld's and rl25 it is one hell of a fringe country sniping rifle for the deer. Nosler custom brass after four loads of various extremes is holding up very well. Also have a custom muzzle brake by my local gunsmith fitted making it as pleasant to shoot as a .222rem. Good reading through the other articles fellas.
Welcome to the " Brotherhood" . That rig of yours sounds very nice indeed. I have shot a lot of rifles in my life, but nothin' gives me goosebumps like the STW. Layne Simpson did it right, and did US all a favor, when he wildcatted it, and finally Remington legitimized it. And the rest is unfortunate history. Regardless, it is still alive and kicking, and only cool people own and shoot them! LOL. Awesome rifle in a awesome caliber, how can you go wrong? Enjoy!!!!. ( I'm sure you will).
Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Bronze Member

I'm new to this forum but I thought that I would jump on board. I've been playing with 7mm STW's for a few years.

I'm building my 3rd. 7mm STW. Stiller Predator action, B&C Medalist stock, Brux barrel SS 9 twist 26", Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 x 44 Ballistic Turret scope, Shilen Trigger, Wyatt Box magazine, PTG bottom metal, Genrtry Model 70 safety.

I plan to shoot 160 gr. Nosler Accubonds ahead of 84 grs. Retumbo and CCI-250 primers.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

I've heard of Gentry safety's for Mausers but didn't know they could be installed on a Stiller Predator action. Neat.

Can you show a picture of the gun with that safety?

I may have that done too, can it be installed by a novice like me?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Bronze Member

Just as soon as I get it back from my gunsmith, I'll post a photo if I can figure that process out.

The Stiller Predator is nothing more than a Remington Model 700 with all of the improvements Remington should make. The bolt release is up on the rear of the reciever and it has an M-16 extractor, pinned recoil lug and spiral flutes on the bolt.

I also have a Remington 700, 280 Remington, with a Gentry safety installed built by the same
gunsmith, Brett Evans, Bonney Lake, Washington.